Honda CB750 Sandcast

bike 902 for sale on ebay

bojje

• View Profile
Hi! Nice object to restore but I´d like to tell one thing I´ve noticed. Engine number was made on a small rectangular surface up to short after number 1000. To me it looks as Honda has delivered a replacement enginecase with the bigger area for enginenumber 970. Honda has definitely made the number if you look at the numbers.
Just as information to be noticed when setting a value on this bike.
Bo from Sweden.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Bo
Long time between posts. I think you will find that from around E800 onwards the larger engine number pad was being used. I think this engine is stamped accurately as there is no indication of any changed cases. I have a set of cases in the 800 range that have the large pad however my understanding is there are small stamping pads after E1000. Again Chris R may have more comment on this point KP
Yabba Dabba KP

bojje

• View Profile
Hi KP!
Yes, it´s long between my posts, but now I´m restoring a sandcast(#2136/2079, swedens first CB750) agian and thats why I´m reading our homepage more often. I also have a case 805 with the big label but it´s casted one month later as it ought to be with that number. Thats why I supposed all cases up to around 1000 had small labels. Now we have something to ask Chris for and perhaps start a discussion to find out. Check casedate on your case is something to start with.
Bo

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Did I say 8XX  Hmmm! VIN 958 with date 1/05 I'm getting old. Also try 894 with date 30/04. For you yobbos that have the dates arse about it would read 5/01 and 4/30  ::)
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

bojje

• View Profile
Hi!
Now I´ve been to my garage looking for answers. #388/407 castdate 4/6 small pad, #609/636 castdate 4/19 small pad, #849/864 castdate 4/10 small pad, case 805 castdate 5/6 big pad, #1266/1216 castdate 5/12 big pad. I saw a bike one year ago with an enginecase and small pad just above 1000, 1009 I suppose. The bike mentioned above has enginecase 970 and big pad. Interesting to find out if there is a system for small or big pads. My only ideea is that Honda has sent some stamped enginecases as warranty while chainbreaks or something else.
Regards, Bo

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think maybe the Honda assembly of engines or when cases were stamped was a random affair with no orderly process for which pair of cases received which number. I have seen a pair of small pad unstamped cases as well as unstamped large pad so that sheds no light on the answer. I think somewhere around 700 or 800 we see a change in case casting design but the date the castings changed would probably be the better indicator. For my money somewhere around end of April beginning of May seems a change has occurred.
Yabba Dabba KP

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1001106 has a small pad, but I too have seen large pad VINS in the 10008xx range.

cheers
Chris R.
302/338