Honda CB750 Sandcast

I.D. plates on steering head - when did they start?

magpie · 19 · 5041

magpie

• View Profile
Hi! Could someone please tell me when the I.D. plates started being mounted on the steering head? I'm just trying to verify a "sandcast" frame that does not currently have a plate. Thanks, Cliff.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
Started about frame # 6000 I supose, my sandcast # 6457 has ID plate. Marcello

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi! Could someone please tell me when the I.D. plates started being mounted on the steering head? I'm just trying to verify a "sandcast" frame that does not currently have a plate. Thanks, Cliff.

Over the years a few of us have done many hours of painstaking homework learning all we could about 'sandcast' CB750's.  We loaded that information into the website for everyone's benefit. 

Cliff, your question has been bantered about on the DB in the past.  Years ago i asked several times for members to send in their findings on vin plates dated before 9/69. My idea was to post the findings in the VIN Directory  One responded. (clue to your question.)

Asking this question, would seem there was not a careful study (if at all) through the vin data in the VIN Directory.  Makes the work we've done seem like it was for what.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Frames 2865, 1387 and 410 all have the silver "no-vin" id badge on the headstock of the frame.

Hope that helps.  :D
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

tomcourtney

• View Profile
Kerry's question 'which market' was a good one, here in Oz we did not get compliance plates till the 1976 model year.
my 1006946 and 1006958 bikes both have the no number silver stick on plate
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Cliff, I don't think Steve is asking you to go quietly rather he's saying that the question has been asked previously and the response has been less than what would be expected from this group.
Tom has confirmed what has occurred here in Oz in that the plate you refer to; (which is specifically word referenced to US sold bikes) so we therefore know that no such plate was affixed to Australian delivered bikes. The question you pose is as previously asked so what was the situation in European, Asian, African and Sth Americian countries. I don't know the answer to that and to Canada specifically. Did Canadian bikes come through the US distributor and if so were the US style plates affixed or did Canadian bikes go direct through a distributor in Canada. Were there country specific plates.
The question you ask really covers not just sandcast bikes but the whole K0 model as a number of countries that had the 69/70 models delivered received die-cast bikes only.  :)
Yabba Dabba KP

magpie

• View Profile
Thanks for that. I believe in the late 1960's the bikes came through a Canadian distributor, maybe Deeley's, or Honda Canada. My 12/69 K0 has an ID plate on it. I can't recall if my 1969 had a plate or not. It was destroyed in a crash not long after I bought it. Purchased in July/69, crashed Aug/69.
The reason I asked is that I have a line on a 3 digit CB750 with non stamped replacement cases and a lot of none sandcast parts on it - a FrankenHonda to be sure. There's no plate on the steering head and I was curious if this disappeared along with most of the correct parts. The frame number is a long way from my sc motor number. I'm trying to figure out what to offer him because of the frame number and a few early parts still on it. Plus it's a long drive just to view it.
Thanks,
Cliff.

UK Pete

• View Profile
5369 has the no date silver label , while we are talking about the silver labels did any one ever find a decent repro as i am looking to find one
pete

tomcourtney

• View Profile
I don't know if these are any good but it looks right these were used on many models including the USA market early Z50AK1's
I have just bought one and will let you guys know when it arrives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Data-PLATE-Early-1969-CB-CL-CD-360-450-250-T350-Rebel-Super-Sport-CB72-/281463988521?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41888fa129
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:06:03 pm by tomcourtney »
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I conversed with this fellow and he told me these were like original in that he uses a thicker foil and font like original.
Yabba Dabba KP

patriotcommercial

• View Profile
My August built Frame # 6200 is original and does not have a dated plate.