Honda CB750 Sandcast

Frame & Engine Number Spread

kp · 20 · 2727

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
hi ya'all,
So I was in New Zealand recently and a local seller of some [apparent] renown was selling a sandcast for $80,000 NZD. The frame number and engine number were 6000 numbers [give or take] apart and I suggested that he should make a note on his ad that the engine wasnt the original engine. Well all hell broke loose and he accused me of calling him a  liar, cheat and crimnal and eventually he blocked me from Trade Me [the local sales site]. Subsequently he changed the ad to make comment that the guy he bought the bike off [a renowned US restorer who he wouldnt name] had gotten a Certificate of Authenticity from the 'official' Sandcast Authority' certifying it was genuine.
While I didnt claim nor infer it wasnt genuine, all I had done was suggest [so that he couldnt ever be accused of misrepresentation] that the engine likely wasnt the original. Its currently for sale for $60,000 NZD without NZ registration or much else for documentation.
In one respect I hope he gets his $60,000  as its increases the value of my collection through the roof, but at the same time I could see a few years down the road a disgruntled investor being mad as hell when he cant get his money back because the engine isnt the original one. Yes it may be a 'genuine' sandcast but where does one draw the line as to its true value. I guess the market will tell us the answer to that!
Al
I had a look at the listing and also asked the question about frame and engine number. Lots of waffle and not so helpful info provided by this guy. The bike, IMHO, isn't worth anywhere near that amount although I don't know the NZ market so it may be bang on the money. To be honest I think the restoration isn't that good, lot's of incorrect parts fitted. The fact he hasn't started the bike is a worry, but then he may have treated the internals so they don't gum up over time. Anyway, good read and love his responses. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

the-oz-slider

• View Profile
Well just an update on the bike Ive been offered - there was a digit missing from the VIn - shazzam, it was a 9 missing from the front of the numbers, so its a diecast bike. Damn.....
Al

J. Ubben

• View Profile
Hello,
could it be that there were Sandcast engines with the number over 17000 in France?

Best Regards
Johann

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile