Honda CB750 Sandcast

Original Paint...what kind is it?

Sam · 5 · 8068

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
After painting my bike parts with a urethane, I am now wondering what the original paint was when it was sprayed in 1969.

Nitro Cellulous? Acrylic Lacquer?

Was it originally painted with a separate clear coat? I assume not.

Anyone know?
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

UK Pete

• View Profile
What do you think of urethane paint ujeni ? i think it is bloody amazing , chip and petrol resistant, and very hard wearing
as for honda's paints we would all love to know i hope someone can enlighten us

pete

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No doubt about it; urethane paint is great stuff for durable, high-quality finishes. To my knowledge though, they started being used in the late seventies and early eighties. Hoping someone can shed some light on what they used in 1969. I suspect it is acrylic lacquer.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Nitro Cellulous? Acrylic Lacquer?

Was it originally painted with a separate clear coat? I assume not.

;) a sprayer friend of mine has always insisted that the japs mixed the lacquer with the paint , not that i really cared , he is a ace sprayer and had many show wins with his work  8) he done two of my bikes in celluolus then lacquered them even after the stuff was banned lol now thats dedication

motormark

• View Profile
Pretty sure nitro-cellulose was not used from 1969 (per CB750's) onward. No durability as can be seen in all the funky repaints that faded and washed off from fuel spills in the 1960's, 1970's, with or without clear, which was also lacquer. Easy to use, quick drying paint to shoot in the driveway, or under a tree!

I'd hunch we are seeing acrylic enamel on an original CB750, a much more durable finish the auto industry, and collision repair places were using then. Also, not seeing clearcoat over original candy red or candy blue CB750 K0 paint.

Far as I know, the only body work that Honda clear-coated early on were CB92 parts, front fender, tank and body side covers, which were all aluminum on early CB92s, also the first thousand or so CL72s..