Honda CB750 Sandcast

Finished Airbox and "Bubble Print"

42barab

• View Profile
Attached pic shows one area of a recently painted SC airbox.  The work was done by Blake Conway and I think it looks good.  Problem is it has been stored in bubble wrap, which has left a "bubble print".  I tried a little Plexus and a microfiber cloth with no results. 

The print seems to be raised to the touch, so it may be a very thin layer of plastic.  Question is how to remove.  Heat gun?  All suggestions/comments welcome.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:11:06 am by 42barab »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Assuming the problem is on the surface of the clear coat, you could wetsand it out and then re-polish. Start with 1000 grit and go slow. Then go to 2000. Then compound and finally polish. Be very careful around edges as you will burn through the clear coat very quickly. Pays to go slow.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hello,
Indeed, the box was packed in the bubble much too early before the varnish was completely dry and very hard ...
You must always leave at least 10 days for a complete hardening at a temperature minimum of 20°
Yes, you can try this method recommended by Sam, but you see with the guy who did the job before doing the irreversible damage because he is the professional and he is best qualified to fix the problem and you see what he is doing can advise you and do about this problem ...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:31:17 am by 4pots1969 »

42barab

• View Profile
Sam,  Your suggestion sounds simple enough, but I’m reluctant because it would be going into the complete unknown for me. I sent an Em to Blake, but have not heard back yet.  To confirm, can you PM his Em?

Gerard, I sent an Em to the painter but have not heard back yet. 

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.