Honda CB750 Sandcast

Backside of sidecovers

patriotcommercial

• View Profile
I need to repaint a new set of side covers, my freshly repainted original cover cracked.

How were the original side covers finished on the back side ?  Was the paint on the back similar to the outside or less finished.

Does anyone have a good picture of the correct factory Finnish on the backside of a side cover.

Bike is Red.

Erling

• View Profile
Sure have a picture just don't know how to put it in a mail!
But there seem to be no intended colour paint on the back. Just squirts round the top edge.
Unpacked the the left side for this occasion.
Lost the original one after 3 days and never fitted the new one, when it eventually arrived.
By the way new one have maybe a date on the back: 691208.2 the .2 is not exact same cipher type!
Original right hand side have no cipher on the back!
Erling.

DW69K0

• View Profile
The original paint side covers (I have about 7 sets) have an aged yellow-white color plastic that darkens with age, with the factory base color of candy blue green or candy ruby red oversprayed slightly on the inside edges. I have seen quite a bit of variation on the amount of overspray that occurs on the inside of the side covers.
DW

DW69K0

• View Profile
Erling,
Attached are a couple of pictures of two side covers, the Candy Blue Green is from January 1970 K0 and the Candy Ruby Red is a NOS side cover. The 70 K0 is the only bike I can get to at this time and I don't want to remove a cover from one of the Sandcast as it is cold in the shop today.
Hope these help.
DW

DW69K0

• View Profile
BTW, the Candy Blue Green 1970 side cover is stamped 691115 . 2. I can't remember if the original Sandcast covers had a date stamped on them , but I they do not have the date stamp. I will check when the heat get turned up in the shop.
Best,
DW

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a belief that original covers were not date stamped but replacement ones were date stamped. I have NOS sets dated both 69 and 70 but the bikes I now have and their covers have no numbers Most of the used covers I have are not date stamped. I have nothing to prove my belief but it is just my take on the subject. Vic would be a good one to ask. KP
Yabba Dabba KP