Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Member from Lakeview Terrace, CA

7t1Honda

• View Profile
Hello guys, new to this forum and looking forward to learning a lot from you folks.

This is my first Honda and I lucked out with stumbled on to my sandcast by luck. Was looking for a Honda cb750 that was a decent driver for my daily commute and the guy I got it from was a harley guy so he dismissed the bike right off the bat.

Anyway, long story short is that I got engine# 1006111 and frame# 1012795

My mechanic was the one who told me that I had a sandcast engine and that it was rare and if I wanted to sell it and of course I declined!!  ;)

I'm sure I'll be asking questions in the near future as these forums are very usefull.

Mando

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome and congrats on your find! Would be best to find a "correct" frame for your bike (plus or minus 300 from your engine number). Sounds difficult, but I found one for my first sandcast!

Post some pics when you get the chance!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

7t1Honda

• View Profile
Here are some pic's of my bike, will look for some correct carbs & some front/rear fenders.

Overall I'm happy with that I have, obviously I would like to bring it back to as close to original...but for now I'll enjoy what I got.

7t1Honda

• View Profile
What I find weird is that my bike frame doesn't have the id/vin tag on the right side of the frame as most bikes???

A local shop in my area told me that the frame could be sandcast 69 as well since my bike doesn't have the id/vin tag on the right hand side...but who knows how true that is. My bike is titled as a 71 but as mentioned they told me it's a 69. 

My bike has some new style carbs and will need help in sourcing some older ones...would like to change back to original airbox at some point with the correct side covers too.

Lastly, If anyone has some info on electrical as I'm trying to tackle why my idiot lights (specifically my neutral light) aren't lighting up would be helpful. Some diagrams and what I need to look for would be extremely helpful too.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The tag was removed when the frame was repainted most likely. The frame number you listed is a K0 frame from 1970, so it has the correct geometry, but didn't come with that engine. Its not a 71. Dunno where they got that!

A few notes from the pics:

1. Pretty bike! Not original, but someone put some time and thought into it.
2. The top triple tree, your carbs, airbox, side covers, right hand controls, seat, rear fender, fork ears, exhaust, headlight bucket, engine paint, front fender, wheel paint and probably a few other things have been modified, are missing or are not correct for a sandcast. Thats ok of course. If you care about that stuff, you can track everything down from eBay, Yamiya or your local Honda Dealer.
3. Check the inside of your tank to see if it is a wrinkle tank.
4. Check the rear rim to see if it is a rolled rim (perfectly round sides).

Find yourself a Honda manual for the bike. Don't go with one of the 3rd party manuals. You can google for a wiring diagram.

On the neutral light (I assume you have checked your fuses), check the connections under the engine and to the harness. Then check the bulb. If all of these are ok, check continuity of the wire. If that checks out, then you need a new neutral switch. I suspect it is a fuse or bad connection.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

7t1Honda

• View Profile
Thanks Ujeni, they didn't say my bike was a definite 71 but it was titled as such in CA.

The mechanic did say it could be a 69 or even a 70 from the frame number, but the engine was a definite sandcast.

I was so excited to find out and look up history of this...first time I have ever lucked out on something machine/car/motorcycle oriented!!

Thanks for the info on the idiot lights and where to start looking.

Mando

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
"Anyway, long story short is that I got engine# 1006111 and frame# 1012795"

E6111 should be a September 69 production date; last month for sandcast production.

Frame 12795 should be near a November 69 production date.  VIN data in the VIN Directory will bear this out. 

The VD is interesting to study in terms of comparing cc casting dates to vin ranges.  9/69, roughly 2500 units produced  10/69, roughly 3000 units were produced.  11/69 roughly 4000 units produced.  12/69 roughly 3000 units produced.  1/70 roughly 4200 units were produced.  2/70 roughly the same number of units.  3-4/70 appears to have dropped off somewhat compered to previous months.  5-6/70, appears around 10000 units were produced.  Interestingly enough, we have a "K0" frame documented having a 7/70 mfgr date.  Numbers and dates has always intrigued me.

7t1Honda

• View Profile
"Anyway, long story short is that I got engine# 1006111 and frame# 1012795"

E6111 should be a September 69 production date; last month for sandcast production.

Frame 12795 should be near a November 69 production date.  VIN data in the VIN Directory will bear this out. 

The VD is interesting to study in terms of comparing cc casting dates to vin ranges.  9/69, roughly 2500 units produced  10/69, roughly 3000 units were produced.  11/69 roughly 4000 units produced.  12/69 roughly 3000 units produced.  1/70 roughly 4200 units were produced.  2/70 roughly the same number of units.  3-4/70 appears to have dropped off somewhat compered to previous months.  5-6/70, appears around 10000 units were produced.  Interestingly enough, we have a "K0" frame documented having a 7/70 mfgr date.  Numbers and dates has always intrigued me.

Steve, with that said would that mean my frame matches my bike or?? I'm very interested in finding out if my bike's engine goes with the frame.