Honda CB750 Sandcast

Web Site Changes

Wayne · 116 · 33413

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
KP, can you tell mid run 17 or not from the underside view picture of the tank on the 7xx bike on ebay ?  or, too difficult to discern from only visualizing a picture.... ?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK I downloaded a free app to edit the photo (not a bad app either) I won't go into further dialogue as the photo and tags say what needs to be identified. Chris are there any further features I've missed
Steve, I bet there are a lot of later VIN restorations out there that have these mid run tanks and the owners probably don't even know it
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks KP. Great info. Would the installed petcock height look any different than the 2 we have currently identified?

http://www.cb750sandcastonly.com/new/tech/frame_group_9.html
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Based on what KP has identified this appears to be a mid run tank to me.  ???

I have also requested some better detailed images of the 7xx tank from the owner, Scott.

BTW Mark B, this is from 576. We have conformed re Steve's findings on 2157, 576 would appear to be a mid run tank. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:49:30 pm by Wayne »
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Wayne, the "Technical and Distinctions" section on the new site looks fantastic.  You're doing a mighty fine job of putting those pictures with the vin break points and part numbers.  It's what we always hoped to see !!!!  It may be noteworthy of indicating parts such as the smooth oil lines, early short neck fuel taps, master cylinders without fill lines, 11 mm mirror stems (amongst others) do not have part numbers.  That is, Honda did not differentiate the later parts by assigning them parts numbers to distinguish/differentiate them from the early parts.  The part numbers for early and late production parts remained the same.

Also, i would like to say to any site lurking sandcast owners and all sandcast members.... Especially those who have their bikes apart.  PLEASE send Wayne your pictures distinguishing early parts from late parts.  

Wayne is engaged in some mighty tedious and time intensive work.  

Now is the time to submit pictures with the vin of the pictured part.

I'm sure Wayne is probably getting tired of me, but we are lucky to have him taking the site to this new level.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
5. no leveling ring on master cylinder reservoir       1-2435 Is the 26mm high mirror boss vs the late 31mm high an separate distinction?

Wayne, i would say this is two distinguishing characteristics on the same part.  That part being the early master cylinder has no leveling ring and a 31 mm boss. 

Later m.cyls have 26 mm boss and a leveling ring.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Based on what KP has identified this appears to be a mid run tank to me.  ???

I have also requested some better detailed images of the 7xx tank from the owner, Scott.

Wayne, i checked (felt with my hand) the area where fuel tap fits to tank on 2157's tank.  The tank does not have this distinctively raised area.  And the tap is not the early type.  So, 2157 has the later type tank as per above KP's notes.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Steve. I am going to be looking for lots of images as I go through the list. Some I can find, some I can't so yes, please follow this thread and contribute where you can.

Speaking of, can someone lay a nice sandcast head with a diecast head as KP has done here and do a larger, clear, clear high resolution image for me. I'll add the information as KP did.

email to sandcast750@gmail.com

Steve I'll correct the oil line area re part numbers. I knew there were no part number changes. I get a bit weary staring into the tables, cutting, pasting, formatting and searching. ;) Please, if anyone sees anything that's not right, can be improved or whatever, bring it to my attention.

This is what I need a new picture of. Don't add the text etc. I'll do that. Even if anyone has a nice clean sandcast head ready that would be great. Ditto for diecast. I can always put the two images together.

Thanks!
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Wayne, i checked (felt with my hand) the area where fuel tap fits to tank on 2157's tank.  The tank does not have this distinctively raised area.  And the tap is not the early type.  So, 2157 has the later type tank as per above KP's notes.

That's great information Steve! I have enough now to put it together. Guess what Mark....that image I posted of the petcock pad is from 576. You have a mid run tank. Don't let KP steal that from you! ;)
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Thanks Steve. I am going to be looking for lots of images as I go through the list. Some I can find, some I can't so yes, please follow this thread and contribute where you can.

Speaking of, can someone lay a nice sandcast head with a diecast head as KP has done here and do a larger, clear, clear high resolution image for me. I'll add the information as KP did.

email to sandcast750@gmail.com

Steve I'll correct the oil line area re part numbers. I knew there were no part number changes. I get a bit weary staring into the tables, cutting, pasting, formatting and searching. ;) Please, if anyone sees anything that's not right, can be improved or whatever, bring it to my attention.

This is what I need a new picture of. Don't add the text etc. I'll do that. Even if anyone has a nice clean sandcast head ready that would be great. Ditto for diecast. I can always put the two images together.

Thanks!

Wayne i will help when i have info to contribute.  I'm encouraging others to help out too.  GREAT WORK.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks KP. Great info. Would the installed petcock height look any different than the 2 we have currently identified?
Hi Wayne I'm not sure as I don't know what tanks these are fitted to But the top photo looks correct for a 19 litre/mid-run 17 litre You can clearly see the differences in height
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

BTW Mark B, this is from 576. We have conformed re Steve's findings on 2157, 576 would appear to be a mid run tank. :)
Yep Wayne A great shot of a mid-run tank petcock pad
The Yamiya copy wrinkle tank is based on the mid-run 17 litre as the pad is well defined
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
Guess what Mark....that image I posted of the petcock pad is from 576. You have a mid run tank. Don't let KP steal that from you! ;)

Thanks for the heads-up.  ;)  Nice work on the site.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a good image of a 19L and a "mid 17L" and what I believe is the later "flat petcock pad" 17L  KP described. Once you folks confirm I'm correct on the blue tank as being a late 17L I'll get them added to the technical section.
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
At the bottom of this page on the current site it states:

"28" Cap with 6mm brass adjuster - These caps were recalled by honda due to sticking

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/support12.htm#Tanks

Should it not say:

"28" Cap with 5mm brass adjuster - These caps were recalled by honda due to sticking
[size=