Honda CB750 Sandcast

Web Site Changes

Wayne · 116 · 33381

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Wayne, going into "Production Models" on the website, under "Carburetor I-II (Keihin)" and "Carburetor III-IV (Keihin)" there is brake hose information....... !?

I noticed that as well quite some time ago. Oh well..onward and upward. :)

Chris Noel was kind enough to send me pic's of a couple of carb bodies. I'll probably use these as the first slides to identify a correct carb  for a "sandcast" bike.

First image is a correct sandcast body.
Second a later "2 Hump" non sandcast body.

Other things to document are the differences in choke arm length (have pic's already) , the bras tubes as Steve identified, 5mm cables, 28 Carb tops(have pic's). What am I missing?

And Mark, thank you. I'll take you up on the newly painted early 2 hole air box cover.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:00:43 am by Wayne »
[size=

Erling

• View Profile
I'm curious to know date, when we were given the non 28 carb tops?
VIN for introducing on production models? Die cast I think.
I have a piece of paper with F-VIN machine written and hand stamped E-VIN.
Could it be from package for that occasion?
     Erling.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I'm curious to know date, when we were given the non 28 carb tops?
VIN for introducing on production models? Die cast I think.
I have a piece of paper with F-VIN machine written and hand stamped E-VIN.
Could it be from package for that occasion?
     Erling.

Honda Service bulletin #15, 3/16/70, Frame 1 through frame 17342 were to have been replaced with replacement throttle valve and cable kit.

if i recall correctly, a 17xxx bike would have come out sometime late December 69 or sometime January 1970.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I noticed I had made a couple of errors on the pre-production machines page. Also, I made updates such as the recent sale of 2113. Please have a look and see if you notice any errors or omissions and we'll move on. We are VERY close to changing over to the new format! :)

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/new/late_pre_production.html
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Wayne, super job.  was kind of fun reading through the stuff i wrote 2004, not even knowing of 2113's existence for another 2 years and then surmising early pre-prod series were designated 1xxx....  We've learned more since.  Damn.  i was 52 then !  Everything remains accurate as i know it.  Chris may have some comments on the 2110 vin.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2110 has now been with the same UK owner for 30 years, and remains part restored. I am fortunate to know the owner, and see the bike reasonably often. Unfortunately, what more I know of it is not mine to share.
I do still have its original master cylinder, rigid steel brake pipe and the splitter which had been removed from 2110 in 1969, and do still hope one day to be able to re-unite it with the bike.

Great work Wayne, thanks.

Chris R. 
Chris R.
302/338

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Chris. Hopefully in the future we can see and learn more about this bike.
[size=

DW69K0

• View Profile
Wayne,
You are doing an awesome job with all these website changes.
Great work!
Duane

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I want to add a couple of more pictures. Can anyone clarify what category these bikes should fall into to? On our old site they are both on the "Early Pre-Production" page.

The caption below the white bike says it's "an early and unpainted prototype machine. Saitama 1969. Spring had not come so far in Japan some snow still remained"

It looks more like an early unpainted Pre-Production machine to me.  ???

The second bike which is also on our  "Early Pre-Production" page appears to be more a prototype. Different exhaust etc. I'm guessing Early Prototype.

[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
There's been alot of discussion about the macines in these 2 photos.  Talking with Bob Jameson at the 2009 40th, conclusion swas both machines were test mules, both at different times and stages of development.  The black bike earlier era, the white bike, later and moreobviously similar to the late pre-prod bikes.   Bob said there were numerous test mules at different stages of development and testing.

The white bike gives more clues as to development stage than black bike.

White bike appears similar if not same as late pre-prod.

Black bike is blacked out to confuse snoopy press.  What one can visualize on black bike appears like early pre-prod....??

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i'm looking more closely at this white bike.......   VERY INTERESTING.  obviously white parts including ignition switch bracket....  suggestive of a factory test mule.  even the tank badges are white.

this white bike could be an interim version between the late pre-prod and early production machines......

the reason i say that is that long choke arm made of round stock; that is early production distinction.   late pre-prod bikes like 2113 had a stamped choke arm made from stamped flat stock.  

However..... this white bike has a steel pipe leading from master cylinder like late pre-prod bike 2113.  the alternator cover appears like 2113.  seat appears flat like 2113.

But...  the white bike clearly appears to be a mix of late pre-prod and early prod parts........  therefore, it is neither a late pre-prod nor an early production bike.  strengthens my opinion this is a factory test mule.

What both black and white bikes have in common is the brown object on seat.....  and they are blacked out or whited out....

wonder what the guy stooped over is looking at so intently ?

good stuff.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Noticed many of the same things Steve, as well as later side covers and badging on the white bike. Good call on the choke arm. I was looking for anything to show that it wasn't just a white late pre - production.
[size=

DW69K0

• View Profile
Noticed the exhaust heat shield on the white bike are cadmium plated with no black paint so they look silver like the other early test mule photos.
DW

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who is contributing to improving our web site and also for the donations. We're getting there and we have lots of great new photo's and information we will be adding to the site once we are on the new format.

Hopefully I'll shake this little virus over the next few days and we can go back at moving information over into the new format. We're close!  :)
[size=