Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sprocket Covers

kp · 7 · 3244

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fellas
A few years back I recall some discussion about the various iterations of the lowly sprocket covers I thought Steven Vanzetto had some feedback that n this  I certainly have two versions but was led to believe that very early covers were sandcast
Can we get some feedback from owners on this subject as there is certainly more than 1 version
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
Hi KP,
Here is a sprocket cover off a 3-digit engine.  I got this one after I had clear coated my other one so that’s why I did use this one.  The first thing I noticed was it is a little rougher inside.  I wouldn’t say sandcast but definitely not as smooth as the other one.

Then I saw there is a number on the inside.  Don’t know if there is any significance to that.

Here’s another feature the other one doesn’t have, a notch on the top where it mates with the cases.  Hmmm.  You can better see some of the roughness here.

It’s in nice shape, better than the other one.  I think I’ll eventually use it once I get it cleared.  I’m guessing it’s more correct.  Any thoughts?

Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Mark from Kyoto,
That cover is the replacement cover for the later K0which were fitted with a case protector designed to stop case damage from breaking chains The cutout allows the case protector to be fitted using an engine case bolt. I think I'm telling this correctly ❓
Yabba Dabba KP

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I would agree with KP.
I have an NOS cover which has the "cut out" referred to and which also has the number "232" inside it. Part number on the packet is 11351-300-040, which according to one of my parts lists was fitted from VIN 1026144, along with the case protector itself.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

markb

• View Profile
Chris,
Now that you say that it makes sense.  I think in the back of my mind I knew it was for something later but couldn't remember what.  So the one I have shown is definitely an earlier one and I will plan on using it unless I find there is something earlier.  Then I will have to try to find one.  ::)
When did the version with the extra post and rubber sleeve come about?
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Erling

• View Profile
On 1638 there is a half size "1" 10 mm to the right of 232!
And some coloured numbers across over the edge from 232 ??7.2?
       Erling.

Erling

• View Profile
Sorry in the other thread the "1" is visible!
     Erling