Honda CB750 Sandcast

Carb inlet Rubber Treatment to soften with Reofos 508

ashimotok0

• View Profile
My video here: Works on nitrile rubber (ie Sandcast/K0 inlet rubbers ) don't believe it will work on PU (Sandcast/K0 Air box 'trumpets').

Immersion 18 hours at 70 degC in Refos 508 in a waterbath heated by a 'slow' cooker on top heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1kVSlLnR8k&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:14:43 am by ashimotok0 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Ash, is your prolonged treatment lasting ?  i've tried heating in past, certainly softens, but does not last.  BUT then, i have only soaked in hot water long enough to soften, not 18 hours.....

at the shop i worked at, we soaked 'em in "corn gas" here (ethanol) it lasts long enough to get them installed.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
In Oz it is a pharmacy product so maybe try your drug store. I believe Glycerin is the same thing which is sold in supermarkets but not in big quantities. I bought a set of rubbers treated with Glycerol and they are soft and reasonably pliable but I don't know what they were like before the Glycerol treatment. Rubber based items also have a much extended shelf life if stored in the freezer
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
The Reofos is used in the rubber processing Industry and re- plasticizes the rubber. I treated some K0 inlet rubbers in 2010 and they are still as supple today as when treated. BUT you need the long immersion at 70 degrees C. I gave ChrisR some and he did not have success but I think he tried it at room temperature and it definitively needs the heat. will post a video of the 2010 treated ones. To be fair the cost of new ones isn't too bad but a set for the K7/F2 are mega money

Ash
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:52:04 pm by ashimotok0 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The Reofos is used in the rubber processing Industry and re- plasticizes the rubber. I treated some K0 inlet rubbers in 2010 and they are still as supple today as when treated. BUT you need the long immersion at 70 degrees C. I gave ChrisR some and he did not have success but I think he tried it at room temperature and it definitively needs the heat. will post a video of the 2010 treated ones. To be fair the cost of new ones isn't too bad but a set for the K7 are mega money

Ash

Great stuff, Ash !