Honda CB750 Sandcast

#28 Carb Tops for Sale (UK - will ship worldwide)

JamesH_Sussex

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

I recently acquired a Nov '69 CB750 diecast and to my surprise it arrived with #28 carb tops.

I could really use with some funds to put towards it's restoration and have several other rebuilt K0 carb sets ready to use, so I'm offering these for sale here before they go up on eBay.

I'd like to keep the slides / springs etc, so I'm selling just the carb tops and cable asembly as a complete set.

Price wise I'm open to offers...

Please feel free to email me to discuss at james@hm-marketing.com.

I'm based in the UK but happy to send these worldwide at cost to the buyer.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
don't want to sound  bossy, but you need to sell the entire 28 set up as a kit.  keeping the lighter and shorter 28 type slides to use with later caps, i believe, if i recall correctly, won't interchange with replacement parts and frankly makes no sense.  i know this sounds like i'm being a jerk, my apologies in advance, i don't have much time at the moment, so i'm just going straiqht to the point.

if you split the set up, you will devalue the set.  you say you want to keep slides and springs and sell the caps and cable as a "complete set."  how do you figure you are selling a "complete set" if you are keeping the slides and springs?  and those old "lighter" 28 type springs are weak and probably worthless from the standpoint of using those springs with the light slides for a rider....  assuming that's your plan.

again, not trying to sound like a jerk, i just don't have much time to write this, pecking away on my smart phone.

if you sell everything related to 28's, it's probably worth $1k +/- on ebay.  maybe more.  split it up like you are planning and it's worth less.  you can (or used to be able to buy on ebay) the kits or the pieces to make up the replacement kit.  it's been a while, but i bought off ebay a couple of these complete kits for around $200.  

in fact i have a full assembled complete very good used condition set up just as it was taken off the bike (caps, ring nuts, cable adjusters, slides, springs, needles, cable, etc.)   i'll probably never use if you are interested in paying what i feel a reasonable price (after you sell your 28 kit of  course.  if you are interested in purchasing what i have, please feel free to pm or email me.)

markb

• View Profile
I agree.  There's no point of not running the 28 caps and using the parts you can't see.  They were recalled for a reason.  The shorter slides, lighter springs and 5mm cable would sometimes stick open.  They are desirable for someone that is trying to restore to factory condition but I wouldn't run them on an everyday rider.  And Steve is right, you can get plenty of money for them to fund your project.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

JamesH_Sussex

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies gents - sorry for the delayed reply - I didn't get a notification from the system that you guys responded to the thread.

I really appreciate the frank response and clear guidance - and it certainly didn't come across as you being a jerk trust me - that's what these forums are for. You guys know these early machines infiitely better than I (all of my K0's are Diecast). SO I was completely ignorant to the fact these earlier carbs have a different slide profile.

So, as you suggest it makes sense to offer up the complete set as complete package. Price wise I'd seen the set of #28 tops & slides (no bodies) sell on ebay @ $1400-ish a few months back, so that's the kind of range ideally I'd like to be aiming for as a complete set.

Hopefully this thread doesn't come across as me being greedy / money grabbing. I'd just like a fair price / market value for the set so I can put the funds back into the diecast restoration (I have two running in parallel) and ideally I'd rather sell to a forum member before putting them up on ebay. I'm sure they'll enhance the ultimate value of the bike then end up being fitted to.

Thanks again guys,

James.

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 ;) hi James I'm also from UK and my only interest are riding the k0s as the sandcast never came here, anyways i have a set of #28 carb tops on a k0 bike that is in regular use with no problems, so I'm going to keep em until they do stick open BTW i was offered $300 for mine a some years ago .i will sell them one day along with recessed ignition and some wrinkle tanks and some bare earth straps and other k0 bits
   I'm like you i own five k0s  and needs must ,i say if the carbs are well set up id keep em, but that's your call you know if you can do without them, but when they gone ,they gone ,you can only sell em once lol

Erling

• View Profile

In the day changed 28n carb tops myself. New stronger springs were too strong for me. Went on for years with the original weak ones. Never had any sticking slides again. Did change to double cables when that possibility came my way. In my humble opinion the slides were the problem. If some day I put the old thing together again the 5mm cables and 28 carb tops plus from outside invisible higher slides shall be used. They seem to be a fraction smaller on diameter. Thus I get rid of the big clumsy 1 to 4 for 6mm cables thing with 2 long cables side by side compared to the original 5mm, where the cables are opposite one another giving an even pull on the "piston" inside as the curved cables for 1 and 4 gives more resistance because of their bends. Clearly seem when taking the things apart after 45 years this winter. Grease marks reveal the piston tilts in the one for 6mm cables. P.S. None with an idea about numbers on the back lower part of Sand Cast engine castings? Dated 5-20 and 5-19 for the top. None on my die cast 19xxx.
      Erling.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
 "P.S. None with an idea about numbers on the back lower part of Sand Cast engine castings? Dated 5-20 and 5-19 for the top."

years back, we postulated those dates were casting dates.