Honda CB750 Sandcast

Master front brake cylinder with a window for the level...

4pots1969

• View Profile
In November 69 an article in a French revue MOTOCYCLISME N° 10 on the testing of the CB750 speaks of a master front brake cylinder intermediate with a transparent window to see the level of the brake fluid, it would have been abandoned due to leak... I put the photo of this master brake cylinder with this window to see the level...
Who has already seen it for real?  Maybe just for the countries of Europe?
4pots1969**
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:57:13 am by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Amazing...Here is an information note from the Honda France service dated September 2, 1969 and which says:

Subject : Replacement of the brake master cylinder of the CB750
When the first CB750s arrive, it will be absolutely necessary, for technical reasons, to replace the master cylinder, whose tank is equipped with a window making the level visible, by a new model with transparent plastic tank....

*I translated only the beginning because after it is question of the procedure of the bleeding of the brake.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:14:27 pm by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Never seen that or heared about that. Cool finding,thanks.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

4pots1969

• View Profile
I put a very interesting subject, like what Honda Japan would have made master cylinder special brakes on the first Sandcast for the French market and it interests only one member?
Thanks Uli for the interest ... :) ;)
Everybody sleeps ? Wake up gentlemen please !! ;D ;D :D ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:14:38 am by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Looking at the kill switch and the rubber hood on the brake line that’s not even a very early bike. Amazing.
Is this master cylinder a French special?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:51:18 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
In November 69 an article in a French revue MOTOCYCLISME N° 10 on the testing of the CB750 speaks of a master front brake cylinder intermediate with a transparent window to see the level of the brake fluid, it would have been abandoned due to leak... I put the photo of this master brake cylinder with this window to see the level...
Who has already seen it for real?  Maybe just for the countries of Europe?
Gerard

Gerard, accept my sincere apologies please!  i have trouble seeing all the new posts that come in.  VERY VERY COOL !  I did not know such a feature existed.  a very futuristic features.  interesting Honda had leaking problems.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Here is an information note from the Honda France service dated September 2, 1969 and which says:

Subject: Replacement of the brake master cylinder of the CB750
When the first CB750s arrive, it will be absolutely necessary, for technical reasons, to replace the master cylinder, whose tank is equipped with a window making the level visible, by a new model with transparent plastic tank ... etc ... etc. ..etc

* I just translated the beginning because after they talk about the purge to be done...

September 1969.  Simply amazing.  makes me wonder if this reservoir with sight glass was ever fitted to any machines and if so, how many ?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gerard
Dementors
Thanks for sharing cos I didn't know about that.
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
It is a guy of a forum French Honda 70' (registered on the SandcastOnly) which found an announcement of the sale of a workshop manual of the CB750 K0 and there had with the manual this fact sheet of Honda France which confirms that the firsts CB750 Sandcast arrived in October 1969 were well equipped with master cylinder of brakes with this small window to see the level of the brake fluid...
I asked the seller of the manual to make a scan of this service sheet. ;)

OK KP....I agree with you my friend and I will remember ;D :) ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 09:21:32 am by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
That would explain this being a very French speciality.

On the other hand: did HONDA really made a special master cylinder just for a relatively small amount of bikes?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
They made a small number of unique sandcast bikes for France (and I mean unique) so a small number of unique master cylinders .......... no problem  ;D  ;)
Yabba Dabba KP

Aurelia B20

• View Profile
    • Honda 60-70's
The very first CB750 were delivered in France in september or october 1969, this doesn't concern the "special sandcast" series 14XXX and 17XXX.

This internal technical note from Honda France is interesting as it confirms that the very first CB750 delivered in september or october 1969 were fitted with this strange master-cylinder, but modified by Honda dealers with the "new master-cylinder" before to be delivered to the customer.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:56:49 am by Aurelia B20 »
Patrick

4pots1969

• View Profile
Gerard, when you say "the first CB750 Sandcast arrived in October 1969," are you referring to the 14xxx-17xxx sandcast motorcycles?

Steve, you're excused... :) ;) I thought you managed to get your "read unread posts", as AuréliaB20 says no report, the 14000 and 17000 series were sold in March and April 1970 ..
But on the other hand, I can not be so categorical that there was a delivery of Sandcast in France in the month of September apart from the 73 bikes "California labeled" .... Personally I had to have my CB750 to the beginning of October 1969 when it was booked and ordered in June.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:29:33 am by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The very first CB750 were delivered in France in september 1969, this doesn't concern the "special sandcast" series 14XXX and 17XXX.
I do understand about the 2 September 69 and that the delivery of the special sandcasts was much later. My post was a bit of a laugh in that France gets all the special stuff i.e.: first the special master cylinders and then the special sandcasts.  ;D ;D ;D And of course we have some very special and very knowledgable members from France.  :o
On a more serious note, not that I'm anything but always serious, this obviously has to do with Sandcast bikes but was France the only country in Europe these Sandcast Master Cylinders were fitted. We do know, at least I believe we know, that some European countries were delivered bikes with different wiring harnesses and switches for lights, different indicator, head and tail lights, different exhausts, different speedo calibration etc. More wine anyone?
Vive la France
Yabba Dabba KP