Honda CB750 Sandcast

Restoring RH handlebar control knob

markb · 35 · 8028

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Mark, i have been following this thread while trying to remember what i used on my pointerless knob.  i'm pretty certain i used Simichrome and a dense woven piece of flannel-like cloth.  Simichrome is the classic German very fine grit aluminum polish, readily available in the US for at least 6 decades.  as an aside, i've used Simichrome on the speedo/tach clear lenses with excellent results.  on the lenses, i follow the Simichrome with Meguiar's clear plastic polish.  

your knob appears to have some somewhat deep defects, at least on the top; probably degradation from some sustained exposure to uv rays, temperature extremes and moisture.  

i don''t think these plastic products you are using are aggressive enough, especially applying with a toothbrush.  i guess what i would suggest, i see no reason why you could not give a trial of 1500 grit paper; start on sides and see how the knob material responds.  i am confident the material that knob is made of can be worked.  or, if you have an old black knob you don't care about, experiment with fine and if necessary, coarser grits of paper.

i also have polished various types of plastic using fine rouge and a polishing wheel/pedestal motor.  one MUST go lightly polishing plastics using a wheel, but the results are generally excellent.

i've known a couple fellows who've taken a new pointer type knob, removed the pointer with a mini-file and then shaped the remaining material atop the knob into the desired contour with the same file.

before and after pics of 232's knob.  looks like mine may not have been as weathered as yours.

and..... the two outer dots are no longer red.... !  black like they were original.  once in a while i do stupid things.......

4pots1969

• View Profile
Here's the first clearer picture... There is the same micro cracks made by drying of UV that on your knob... The Brush a soft tooth with the Polish does not damage the surface of the knob but the contrary put highlight the surface defects.
I followed the advice of Steve by sanding the surface with sandpaper defects very fine with water but be careful not to round protrusions by sanding... Then I ironed the Polish with a soft cloth. Here is the new result on the second picture... The knob starts a have a very good head!
The knob to practically found its appearance and its hue of origin... Mark, (Many Thanks ;)) there is no reason that your knob does not follow the same path than that of Steve where mine... ;)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:38:14 am by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Thanks Steve, just a note, I think do not mark in red the two outer points on the Kill Switch? ??? ???

4pots1969

• View Profile
I said nothing.. Sorry...Sometimes unfortunately I do not understand everything...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:32:41 am by 4pots1969 »

markb

• View Profile
OK, how does this look?

Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

4pots1969

• View Profile
I do not see very well, but the button seems too matte, not smooth enough...
You do not have a picture with a different angle?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:40:11 am by 4pots1969 »

markb

• View Profile
How about this shot?  I agree it should look a bit shinier. 

At the risk of being scorned by half the site I’ll tell you what I did.  After spending at least another 3 hours working on it (over 5 total) and not making any significant progress I shot it with a semi-gloss black paint.  I had tried some other polishes and 2000 grit sandpaper at which point I noticed some distortion in the roundness of the knob looking at it from the top.  I was able to touch that up but really didn’t want to risk making it look like it had been filed on.

I think it looks better than the picture and certainly passes the 6” test.  Sorry, I realize it’s the purists solution.

Mark B

4pots1969

• View Profile
Mark, We are never ridiculous on the site.. ;)
So, if I understand correctly... There, it is painted in satin black. Quite honestly the result is not top... But good...
It is much better than at the start...
Personally, I will remove the paint at your place... How is the aspect under the paint?
Why is a grained appearance? It is the paint which made this grained appearance?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:30:08 pm by 4pots1969 »

markb

• View Profile
The surface is not because of the paint but the paint might make it look worse.  This knob was extremely weathered.  If I sanded until it completely smooth maybe it would be black again.  But as I said I was afraid of removing too much material and distorting the lines and edges.  At some point the paint can always be removed just as one could try to sand it black so I figured nothing was lost.  Maybe gloss paint would look better.
Mark B

4pots1969

• View Profile
Yes, in cases like that it was always a bit afraid to damage the part still more...
Because as they say "the better is the enemy of the good"...
Perhaps a primer special for the plastic before painting to fill imperfections??
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:19:21 pm by 4pots1969 »