Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast Frame Vin Plates

Joe K · 37 · 16123

Joe K

• View Profile
Should all the sandcast frames have the vin plates on them? I may be getting a sandcast frame, but the vin plate is missing. It does have the vin etched into the other side of the neck.

Also the frame has been cut on the two top tubes above the cam cover. Can this be repaired by a good welder while maintaining the integrity of the performance at high speeds. Or not worth pursuing?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,
Joe

Bickle

Hi there,
On my sandcasts the frame vin is stamped into the headstock....not on the "vin plate". The vin plate only contains company information.....so as long as the vin is stamped in the frame, I wouldn't not buy it for that reason. My opinion FWIW
Steve

Joe K

• View Profile
Steve,

OK, thank you for the information. I have an early diecast and it has both the vin stamped on the headstock and the plate.

Joe

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
i could be wrong here but im sure they are all stamped on the frame by honda and the vin plate is added later when it is registered by the american market that is why you get age of manufacter in the usa while in the uk we get date of registraion on logbook and no vin plate

ken736cc

• View Profile
I will eventually need a plate for my early sandcast. Does anyone reproduce these? A picture of the correct plate and location would be helpful.
Thanks
I've seen the future, I can't afford it.

Joe K

• View Profile
Since the vin plates look is identical on all CB750's (I assume), did Honda manufacture them and put the frame number on them? Who would be putting them on for the American market? Honda USA?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
As best we know, according to the vin directory, only the 9/69 sandcasts had the riveted on alumuinum vin plate. To date, we have not noted (yet) any 8/69 machines with this plate. To the best of our knowledge, except for 9/69 sandcasts, an adhesive sticker was used and did not have vin on it. All CB750's have the vin stamped on the LH head stock. The stickers and riveted on plates were on the RH head stock. Perhaps Yamiya, DSS or CMC has them..... ?

Would be great to hear if anyone has an 8/69 sandcast with a riveted on plate.

Some time ago, we requested owners to check their RH headstock so we could get a better idea when the earliest frame vin was than had this riveted on plate.

tomcourtney

• View Profile
Steve i think your on the money for the US market bikes, the Sandcast bikes sold here in Australia had the stick on alloy plate like you had on the early bikes, this had a space for the vin but was not stamped. I have seen repo ones being offered by this guy, and he does plates for the little Honda Z50's he may do the CB750 rivited plates if enough people wanted them, anyhow check out the link and ask him about the early Z50 K1 id plate from 1969 i believe they are the same as fitted to the early US and most other market CB750 Sandcast bikes TC
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Jerrys-Z50-Stuff__W0QQ_armrsZ1
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

fang

• View Profile
    • Food Renegade
+1 For what it is worth, both of my sand cast bikes have both the stamped VIN and the adhesive aluminum decal. Both of the decals are "generic" -- there is no VIN and no date on them.

EDIT: this for bikes #3351 & #4858

Joe K

• View Profile
Can someone please take a photo of their decal on the right side of the neck of the frame and post it?  The one I am referring to is the one without a vin stamp on it.

Thank you,
Joe K

markb

• View Profile
Not a great pic but if you just need to see what it looks like, here it is (click on it to enlarge).
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
As best we know, according to the vin directory, only the 9/69 sandcasts had the riveted on alumuinum plate w/ vin and date of mfgr stamped on tag.

To date, we have not noted (yet) any 8/69 machines with this riveted on plate.

Would be great to hear if anyone has an 8/69 sandcast with a riveted on plate.

Some time ago, we requested owners to check their RH headstock and write in, to get a better idea when the earliest frame vin was than had this riveted on plate.

Pre-9/69 frames use adhesive tag, no vin, no date stampings on these tags.

Joe K

• View Profile
Thank you, markb1.

I have attached the link to the Ebay listing that sells the tag for anyone who needs one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360224365756&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

They are brushed aluminum and a little pricey, but worth it.

1941wld

• View Profile
If anyone need one of these lets all get together and I'll ask Jerry if he will give us a better price on a quantity of these. Does anyone need one of these? I do.

markb

• View Profile
I'd be interested in 1 or 2.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)