Honda CB750 Sandcast

Early Side Cover Badges/Emblems

kp · 5 · 2051

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Up to around VIN 3000 the side cover badges/emblems were thicker in profile  (4mm+) than the later badges/emblems. Why the change in profile is anyones guess but I suspect it was for aesthetics or maybe the early ones were just too damn thick. I have taken a photo of a badge/emblem on a 2 digit VIN bike to show you what to look out for. I don't have any reproduction side cover badges/emblems so cannot advise what thickness these are. You can see the differences between thick and thin profile badges/emblems in the supplied photos. As a guide I refer to these as the 3mm (later) and 4mm (early) but the 4mm are all over 4mm and the 3mm are all under 4mm, usually from 3mm to around 3.5mm. Not a lot of difference but a difference nonetheless and you can pick the different badges/emblems easily. Whilst this is not something I can say is 100% but seems left side 4mm badge/emblems are harder to find that the right sides. Over a number of years I've only ever been able to buy 2 LH 4mm
Yabba Dabba KP

Riccardo

• View Profile
I had already noticed something going to restore my badges.
It 'also true that the big manufacturers of cars and motorcycles are supplied by different external suppliers. Some details although built to the specifications may be different from each other.
I do not think a change in design, but different products from different suppliers
riccardo
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

42barab

• View Profile
Up to around VIN 3000 the side cover badges/emblems were thicker in profile  (4mm+) than the later badges/emblems. Why the change in profile is anyones guess but I suspect it was for aesthetics or maybe the early ones were just too damn thick. I have taken a photo of a badge/emblem on a 2 digit VIN bike to show you what to look out for. I don't have any reproduction side cover badges/emblems so cannot advise what thickness these are. You can see the differences between thick and thin profile badges/emblems in the supplied photos. As a guide I refer to these as the 3mm (later) and 4mm (early) but the 4mm are all over 4mm and the 3mm are all under 4mm, usually from 3mm to around 3.5mm. Not a lot of difference but a difference nonetheless and you can pick the different badges/emblems easily. Whilst this is not something I can say is 100% but seems left side 4mm badge/emblems are harder to find that the right sides. Over a number of years I've only ever been able to buy 2 LH 4mm

Can these badges be restored?  For example, if the shiny "chrome" is worn, can it  be brought back?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes they can. Rechrome the badge and repaint. There was a company in Australia doing them. I had a bunch done years ago. The gold colour is Sunny Gold
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Will have to check all my badges.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)