Honda CB750 Sandcast

Combining Sandcast Case to Diecast Case?

Joe K · 7 · 2614

Joe K

• View Profile
Is is possible to combine the top of a sandcast case to the bottom of a diecast case? Is there a special 10 bolt pattern for the sandcast case only preventing the two types of engine cases to be put together?

Thanks for your responses in advance,
Joe

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
dont risk it i would say definetly not the cases must be of a matching pair meaning original top too original bottom,or you will have messed up all the main bearing oil clearances, a friend of mine done it years ago with two mismatched diecast cases and trashed the engine it was knocking its guts out as soon as he fired it up you have been warned lol

Joe K

• View Profile
Thank you for the heads up. I don't think I will attempt it after all.

fang

• View Profile
    • Food Renegade
Remember that the SC cases have 9 bolts for the clutch cover and the die cast have 10.

peace and grease,
-fang

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I would suggest this to be an absolute NO-NO! The cases are machined as a matched pair meaning, exactly as Steff750 said, that the main bearing housings WILL be mismatched / mis -aligned.

Out of interest though, the only difference between 9 hole and ten hole clutch covers is the extra hole. A ten hole clutch cover WILL fasten directly on to a sandcast crankcase set, except of course you have an extra hole that you can't put ascrew through. With careful modification and a tiny bit of welding, a 10 hole cover can be coverted to look like a 9 hole cover, if necessary. Its all good fun!

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

fang

• View Profile
    • Food Renegade
I am wondering if we are talking about THIS (dead link) item which recently sold on eBay?
-fang

Joe K

• View Profile
Yes, fang. That is why I brought the question up. I was interested until I found out I could't put on a die cast cast on the sandscast top. I figured it would be too difficult to locate a sandcast bottom.