Honda CB750 Sandcast

Suggestions on putting the Case back together

Joe K · 5 · 2231

Joe K

• View Profile
When I put the engine case back together do I put on a liquid gasket or does Honda make a case gasket?

fang

• View Profile
    • Food Renegade
Honda does not provide a gasket. I have always used, and highly recommend Loctite 574.

I used to be the service manager at a Porsche shop, and this also is what Porsche uses on their split crankcases.

Quote:The Loctite 574 sealant is an orange gooey sealant that cures in the absence of air. When you assemble your case and mate the case halves, you will have some squeeze-out that will collect at the case halves. If you leave this excess sealant exposed to the air, you will find that it will not harden. While this may cause you some head scratching, you shouldn’t be concerned, as the sealant is designed to seal within tight clearances, and between metal surfaces. Despite the fact that it appears that the Loctite 574 is not curing because the squeeze-out has not hardened, it has in fact properly sealed between your two case halves.

Because of these unique properties, Loctite 574 is perfect for motors -- there is no need to worry about the squeeze-out clogging your oil passageways, etc.
It is not cheap, and you will have to special order/mail order it. However, it is the correct sealant for the job. Best of luck assembling your motor!

Peace and grease,
-fang

cb7504

• View Profile
Joe:
The case mating surfaces on Honda motors have excellent machining with precise tolerances, there is really no need for major gasket sealer. I do use a liguid type gasket very closely resembling contact cement. I have seen this type of liquid gasket on many if not all the cb750 motors I have rebuilt over the years. One thin brush on coat on both mating surfaces is all that is required. Almost any automotive parts/supply store will have this type of gasket sealer. Marty

Joe K

• View Profile
Thank you fang and Marty for your suggestions. I have to take the motor apart because my 2nd gear keeps on slipping. I think the shift fork is damaged. Besides, I want to take the motor apart so that I can clean, inspect and put nice transmission gears and chains for top notch performance.

Joe

fang

• View Profile
    • Food Renegade
That gear probably is repairable. This would be a good opportunity to invest a few hundred dollars and get the tranny gears backcut. You will never have that slipping problem again! APE does good work for reasonable prices. Check them out. http://www.aperaceparts.com/transmissions.html

-fang