Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast Shock Absorbers

kp · 11 · 2272

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is a follow on from another thread but a different topic. Why are restorers not rebuilding and restoring their original (easy to pull apart) shocks or buying and restoring used original shocks. These are so damn easy to restore to original.
Yabba Dabba KP

thomas

• View Profile
OK, verging on off-topic: I don't know how the K0 s/c shocks differ from those of a K1 but I assume that they have more or less the same sealed-for-life damper body construction?
If so, how does one go about restoring to original? (strip, rechrome as needed and rebuild, fresh oil and fresh seals?)

regards
Thomas

This is a follow on from another thread but a different topic. Why are restorers not rebuilding and restoring their original (easy to pull apart) shocks or buying and restoring used original shocks. These are so damn easy to restore to original.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's about it. The rechroming is not a biggie but you have 2 ways to go re the shock itself. Rebuild the original de-carbon assembly or buy a new set of Honda shocks and swap out the springs for the earlier K0. Not sure what services are available in other places but where I live we have shops that will do exactly as you say. Recondition with new seals, valves, oil and re-gas etc. They can also hard chrome the main shaft or replace and give you back a more or less new shock.
Rebuilding shocks was common enough some years ago but we now seem to replace with new which is fair enough. If you want to keep your restoration original then rebuilding is a viable option. You won't save any money but the shock will be as it was when the bike was sold. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

thomas

• View Profile
OK, I have always been led to believe that these stock Honda rear shocks are sealed and cannot be opened up for rebuilding and resealing.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This was raised as a discussion by me some 5 years ago and after that discussion I found a shop that did internal rebuilds of these shocks That place I found out today has since gone out of business but I've sent off an enquiry to another shop which rebuilds shocks
Yes these are a sealed for life unit but so are a bunch of other items which we can have repaired and rebuilt such as instruments. iPhones are supposedly a sealed for life unit but these are easily repaired. I'll come back with the answer from this shop enquiry
Yabba Dabba KP

thomas

• View Profile

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK. I know this is 4 1/2 years thread, but thought I would update ya'all.
Remember back when (the good ol days), this thread started about rebuilding shocks. The guy that used to do motorcycle shock rebuilds here, whom I thought had gone out of business, hasn't gone out of business. He just moved his shop about 5 years ago. At the time, I found another bloke in Sydney who did them but his price was off the meter so I didn't go any further with rebuilds. These were the days you could buy a Honda shock set for less than US$300
I've used my last pair of good shocks so I needed to find some more. Arrrrrrrrrr. $700, $800, $1000 for a pair of K1 shocks that need a spring change add another $100 to $150. Repop shocks, which Yamiya says are by the original supplier, are pretty damn good but asking price is around US$450 (cheaper when on special) The problem with this shock is the top eye is a different shape to original. Yeah, you cold live with it and not really something anyone will notice but still amazes me why those that arrange to have a repop made don't get it done the same as original Always something not right.
So I had 2 sets of good shaft shocks that needed internal work and went about finding the original guy and getting them done. I dropped them off yesterday and for around, if I recall AUS$120/$160 or so they will be fully rebuilt and re-gassed. The springs, bottom, small parts and spring covers will cost another $200 to re-chrome So lets say AUS$350 to $400 for a fully restored like new genuine K0 shock. I'm thinking I like it.
Yabba Dabba KP

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I must admit, I didnt know you could restore original shocks beyond rechroming them. New seals and regassed? Any ideas how good they turn out?
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The main reason shocks fail is the oil leaks out due to failed seals. No oil = no working shock. Seals generally fail due to wear from wear, perishing or the shaft is pitted and rusty from sitting/weathering, thus ultimately destroying the seal. The internal tube, piston and bleed transfer washers can wear from long term use but the four shocks I'm getting repaired only had seal failures, which I think is generally the norm. The shaft and hard chrome were in excellent shape so is a relatively easy fix for me. The shock man also gets worn shafts re-hard chromed if required, or makes replacements as this part is made from common sized bar stock.
I haven't had the K0 shocks rebuilt before but have had several sets of CBX shocks rebuilt with great results. My good friend here in Brisbane has his DeCarbon shocks reconditioned from time to time and is very happy with the outcome.
The K0 and CBX shocks are certainly not high end race ready, but the shock man says they are made well and typical Japanese quality. I saw the internals of a repop non-Japanese copy shock. Just junk. Webike, Yamiya and other motorcycle stores do sell good repops and they are made in Japan so steer clear of the cheap knock offs. Price will always determine the quality.
Yabba Dabba KP

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Let us know what happens if you do have a K0 shock rebuilt. I'm very curious!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608