Honda CB750 Sandcast

Oil feed pipes

Garry32

• View Profile
I am under the impression there is three types of oil feed pipes
Smooth type for very early sandcast models
Webbing type with smooth ferrules
Webbing type with rough crimped ferrules
Does anyone no when the change over period was for the smooth to rough crimped ferrule.
Also has anyone have the smooth ferrule type FOR SALE please.
Garry :)
http://cb750sandcastonly.com//images/Oil%20Line%20Early%20Web.JPG

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll leave the response as to the VIN numbers when these changed to either ChrisR or Mr Swan. I owned an engine in the late 3 digit era and the pipes were webbed with smooth ferrules so I believe somewhere under engine 900 for the smooth pipe. I've seen photographs of bike with 1 of each with the smooth clamp. VIN 248 with engine 342 has smooth pipes.
There are in fact several other variations to the crimping, in that the length of the crimp has changed over the years. Early bikes without smooth crimps (those with ribbed crimps) had less pronounced ribbed, but wider, wider crimps if you get my drift.
One interesting anomaly which I've noticed is the various differences to the engine fittings of pipes mainly the webbed with smooth crimps (the alloy part post crimp that attaches to the engine) This could just be casting variation although some of these castings have what I would describe as noticeable differences. I might see if I can compare what lines I have and post pictures in the future
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
1865/E1973 has both webbed lines.  one line has smooth ferrules, the other crimped.  without looking, i cannot remember if those distinctions are in the "Distincctions" thread....

Garry32

• View Profile
Thank you KP for the reply unfortunately the project only came with the rear oil feed pipe which by the way is  a smooth ferrule.
Garry :)

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
#302 (E338) has two smooth lines.
#1256 (E665) had one smooth, one webbed - and yes, this was a factory pair
#1120 (E1106) had two webbed lines, both with smooth crimps

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338