Honda CB750 Sandcast

Hello from Ga

o1marc · 4 · 2360

o1marc

• View Profile
So some of you may recognize me from some current posting. My name is Marc (Duh) and I live in Dawsonville,Ga., yes, the home of Winston Cup Champion Bill Elliott. I run a small custom powder coating business and build a few bikes here and there. I have owned my 62 XR1327 Sportster for 40 years now and recently inherited some bikes from my brother who passed away this past April. In his collection of toys were a 82 Ferrari Mondial, BMW540i, 69 Jaguar XKE, 71 Lotus Europa, a couple of Alfa Romeo GTV's, 57 Chevy 5 window pick up, 65 Alpine GT, and several beaters. Also were 4 bikes that we had a 30 agreement that whomever went first, the other got the bikes. The liquidation of all the vehicles has been completed and the bikes have been sent to my sisters house for me to pick up. They consist of the 69 Sand Cast basket case, MotoGuzzi Calif II, that I have already sold, a 1957 Norton Dominator with a 1975 Kawasaki H2 750 triple 2 stroke in it, and my favorite, his 1970 Triumph 650 Tiger. I have always been a racer and spent 20 years here locally running a Nascar short track where I won 60 feature wins and 2 track championships. After the 2007 season I was basically retired by rule changes outlawing my car. A few years later I worked with a friend building Land Speed record cars where our first venture was a 1959 Nash Metropolitan to compete in the Comp Coupe class. We built the car from scratch in 2-1/2 months and finished it the day we left for Bonneville to try and break a 14 year old record. By the end of that week we were the new record holders (262mph), after many told us it would be impossible with our car, that my driver was going to die and the car would end up in the dumpster. We left a lot of rich engineers scratching their heads at our accomplishment. We later took the car to Maxton and broke the record there in their final year of 2011. ECTA opened a new track in Ohio where we were the first in the 200mph club and set class record. Everywhere we took the car the old record fell. This year we built a 2000 S-10 pick up to compete in the Mid/Mini modified pick up class. Again completing the build process on the day we left for Ohio where we again took the record by beating the old one by 20mph. I have set out now to get my XR prepped to compete in the MPS/PG and MPS/PF classes so I can get my own name in the record books and check one more thing off the bucket list. So it looks like I will be busy with more bikes this years as I also have a 77 CB400f that i'm building with all CBR600 suspension/wheels/brakes. I'm parting out the sand cast, restoring the triumph and freshening the Kawaton to be road worthy and then flip it.
It's been fun running this new learning curve on the sand casts. I wish I had the money to restore it but my best bet is to use it to fund the other projects.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:41:34 am by o1marc »

markb

• View Profile
That might be one way to slow that Kawi down a bit.  I rode one once and for me it was scary fast.  Probably faster bikes around today but I don't ride them either.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Erling

• View Profile
Memories. I too tried a friends 750 Kawa in the day.
At full acceleration in second the left handlebar rubber slipped off!!!!
Lucily the road was broad enough to accommodate the wobble.
I returned him the bike with a thank you.
He later crashed it in a full speed wobble on the motorway.
     Erling.