Honda CB750 Sandcast

9 Hole Replacement Clutch Cover

o1marc · 11 · 4303

o1marc

• View Profile
I think it's a line of sh*t he's feeding me unless you guys correct me. I saw this 9 hole sandcast clutch cover on Ebay. It is clearly a 10 hole with the 10th hole filled with filler. Seller is saying it is a :
"Up for sale is a NEW OLD STOCK Clutch Cover for your 1969 Honda CB750 K0 "Sandcast".  This is the correct clutch cover for the "sandcast" engine with 9 mounting holes instead of 10 on the later K0 engines.  This is a REPLACEMENT cover, it is cosmetically slightly different than the original clutch cover but functionally the same.  Honda part code# 11342-300-040.  This part is in overall good shape, has corrosion from many years of storage, see the pics."

Did Honda do this as replacement or is this just a fraudulent listing?
If it is a real NOS item would it be worth sandcast money  or the $35-$45 a die cast cover brings?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
These were known to be made as replacement to the 9 hole part which was discontinued. Whether this one is one of those parts is academic as the replacement is really a 10 hole with one of the holes plugged. Nevertheless this does look like those original ones The plug was a nice shiny piece of aluminium which was different material to the die cast casing material which were a zinc alloy material. Would nevertheless be easy to make to look like an original.
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
The text of the announcement is a beautiful story for little children! This guy is a crook... It's a fake...
It is a cover after K2...

Here is a real cover not drilled for Sandcast after E-1007414 for E-1014XXX and E-1017XXX series...

In Japan, (photo 2) when missing a cover 9 holes, they cheat for the tenth hole with a plug in aluminium.. >:( >:( but is not part of original Honda..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:47:27 pm by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Whether this is a Honda part or otherwise this type of replacement cover has been around for many years not months, and has been sold in countries other than Japan. If a 9 hole cover is unavailable then what do you use in place. Ah! I know! You use a 10 hole cover. I believe they were on Honda inventory however if you have evidence to the contrary then Gerard, please let us share your evidence.
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
Kp, I do not always understand well the meaning of the sentences because I am using a translator...
Try to translate into english my french written sentences and you will quickly understand the problem...

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gerard, I studied French Language at school (50 years ago) but my French is very very poor mon ami  ;). Honda stop making 9 hole covers after Sandcast case casting stopped. This means that replacement covers for early Sandcast cases must be a 10 hole cover.
If you look at all "French Sandcast Engines" from Honda new, they have this 10 hole cover with the plug in hole 10, so Honda must be the maker of this part. The plug is there I believe for gasket sealing.
Others can copy easily but original part was made by Honda. This is my point
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1137.0;attach=1927
My daughter now visiting Paris. She did study French language also and is loving France and the French food
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
KP my Friend,  I'm flate that your daughter appreciates and loves the France... ::) ::)
And if your french is as bad as my english can't do anything...
On the link, you me made see the clutch cover 9/10 of my Sandcast engine E-1017118 and I say from the beginning that this cover is an original Honda, because the tenth hole is not drilled and therefore it is not refilled with a plug... Okay? But those which are refilled with a plug in aluminium are not Honda original...
This is what I tried to explain with my very bad English... Are you agree with me?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:34:23 pm by 4pots1969 »

Garry32

• View Profile
Hi Gerard I think what Kerry is saying is that it is a genuine Honda part (or whoever produced the part)The supplier of the 9 hole cover stopped producing that type and started producing a 10 holer as the specification changed by Honda or whoever produced the modified diecast cases. So easy option is to plug the hole thus only producing one type of cover.

Is that what you are trying to say Kerry.
Cheers Garry  :)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have to say I had not noticed the French Sandcast clutch cover was solid and without plug. I assumed this was just oxidation and poor photographic detail. I have to advise that my first contact with a plugged cover was many many many years past and was assembled with other genuine Honda parts being sold from a old dealer inventory. I will ask my friend from Japan to help with this anomoly
We must agree that the cover is a genuine Honda casting. The plugged hole seems to be the area of debate.
Yabba Dabba KP

Don R

• View Profile
 I wonder if anyone has tried welding up the extra hole and machining the cover to the 9 hole shape?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sandguss in Germany had a modified 10 hole for sale. Not sure if he did it or came across it. It wasn't the best work and am sure someone with a deft hand at machining could modify a 10 hole to a high standard. Alas! I don't have those skills  ;D
Yabba Dabba KP