Honda CB750 Sandcast

Speedo/Tach Disassembly

apexhntr

• View Profile
Any suggestions/comments for disassembly. The purpose being to clean the gauges and swap out the clear plastic lens in each unit. The plastic lenses are still available from Honda. Not sure how much effort is involved but the meters sure would look nice cleaned up.

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
i have done this myself a few times too re-glue the idiot lights, you can cut the the plastic off the bottom with a stanley knife but dont get too carried away ,you might need a bit of glue when refitting

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Guys
Use a heat gun to soften the plastic bottom weld whilst at the same time gently turning the edge outward all the way around until you can free the inside
BE BLOODY CAREFUL
You don't do any damage to the original finish if done properly and when you fix what you have to you can soften the edge again and return it to as original ......... well almost nearly as you started.  ;D KP
Yabba Dabba KP

apexhntr

• View Profile
Thanks steff750 and kp for the responses.... I will try the heat gun first- it has been invaluable in removing decals and number plates. Also, dental floss works amazing for removing glued on stuff in conjunction with heat.

I just restored the dash on my 1968 BMW wish I knew how to post a pic from my PC

Cheers, Bob

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Bob, somewhere a while back KP posted instructions how to load a picture into the BB. if you do a topic search, you can find his post on this. steve