Honda CB750 Sandcast

Two Hole Rear Wheel & Rounded Rim

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Is the two hole rear wheel correct for all sandcast vins or only some? And is the rounded rim a separate entity or is it synonymous with the two hole wheel? I have this wheel on 2636, but 5920 has a regular 4 hole. The latter has many incorrect parts, so I have no confidence in it as a good example. P.S. I searched the board, but couldn't find a solid answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Blake, i cannot remember, for me that would be a Chris Rushton question he has a memory like a steel trap. KP probably also remembers.

i want to say the 2-hole hub was all sandcasts, but like i said, i cannot remember that one.

Certainly round bead rim was all sandcasts, definitely carried over to the early post-7414 bikes.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep Steve. 2 hole and rounded for all sandcasts and 99% of K0 Not all K0s had rounded rim though
Yabba Dabba KP

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I would agree - I have two hole hubs complete with rounded rims from a number of K0's, the latest number of which was 1010xxx.
I believe the two hole hub went on for much longer than the rounded rim, but have little serial number information to back that up, though a UK K0 I had at 1015xxx did not have the rounded rim.

SO, here's a opportunity for the guys that wanted the K0's to be a part of this site to feed the rest of us some information!

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Ok, so this is what I've found on my bikes

sandcast 2636: 2 hole w/ rounded rim
sandcast 5920: 4 hole wheel, but lots of other incorrect parts as well
K0 16662: 2 hole w/ standard rim
parts bin: 2 hole w/ standard rim, but hanging out with K0 frame 1039xxx

So I guess I need to come up with a rounded rim. Anyone interested in trading, let me know what you're looking for.

Below are some comparison photos. On the left is what I'm calling a rounded rim, on the right seems like every other rim I've seen.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Wow, Blake ! the rounded rim IS rusty looking !!

What i use on rust like that, especially with the fine pitch threads (actually any/everything, rusty, seized, frozen or not) is Aero Kroil penetrant by Kano Labs.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

This product has been around prior to WWII, it is the best penetrant i know of, i've used it for decades.

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

Allan Landry will testify to Aero Kroil's effectiveness.

steve s

cb7504

• View Profile
Hi: My cb750k0 serial number 1020827 manufactured 1/70 is all original with rounded rim and two hole hub, short chain guard , unstamped pipes, recessed switch, two bolt hole rear fender, single cut fender, and non wrinkle tank. Marty K.

bojje

• View Profile
Hi Friends! Yesterday I dismounted the rearwheel of my #180/302 and found something peculiar. The rearhub doesnŽt have any holes at all. So I sent a mail to Mark B. and asked him how the hub of his #97/100 lookes. He sent me amil confirming his rearhub doesnŽt either have any holes. YouŽll find more information on his restoresite on this forum. Now my question: Stewe, Chris, Kp or someone else - for how long where the nonholed rearhubs used? My #388 and #412 has twohole rearhubs. Best Regards from Bo in Sweden.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Bo, My 248 has a 2 hole rear hub  :(
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
My 151 has a two hole hub laced to a 16 inch rim. I'm thinking as early as this numbered bike is it would've been a good possibility for it to have been fitted with a no hole hub until the 16 inch rim replacement came along.  Marty K.

Don R

• View Profile
Just to add information my 5511 had a two hole hub, round rim and cloverleaf cush drive rubbers.