Honda CB750 Sandcast

so i crawled out from under my rock it looks like

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
looking up from the Deep Ravine, to the site of Custer's Last Stand, Reno's Valley Fight, gives an idea how tortuous the terrain is.  If you read the one sign, you will read about artifacts found at the site after sage and prairie brush burned off in the early 80's, i guess it's kind of hard to make out, one of the more haunting finds was a left 4th proximal metacarpal (left ring finger bone) with wedding ring with inscription still around the bone.  the brush was anywhere from 1-4 feet high, imagine being a soldier, trying to run on foot through the dense undergrowth on a 95F degree day and feel being hit by an arrow entering your back and protruding out the front of your chest,  knowing your life would mercifully be over the split second a Sioux, Cheyenne or Arapahoe war club crushed your skull.  My Moto Guzzi atop Beartooth Mountain Pass, a spectacular high speed ride of about 45 miles.  Finally, one last picture looking north on Highway 17 in the San Juan Valley, flanked by the Sangre de Cristo mountains on each side.  This stretch of Highway 17 runs 51 miles straight without a single curve. About 40 miles ahead from where the picture was taken, on the left, are five 14,000 foot mountain peaks.  i was on my way back from a visit to Adams State University, i am currently working on my Master's degree in Counseling.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
And......  one more.  Here is a picture of Olsen Brothers Triumph-Honda where 4779 was purchased September 30, 1969.  I worked as a lot boy for Olsen's the summer of 1970, after i graduated from high school, before i went to college.

And one more.....  the last.  i promise.  (i have more if anyone's interested. :))

the one room country school house i attended from 1959 to 1966, Waucapona Dist. #5, the building was constructed in 1872, my Dad and his brother went there from between 1915-1921, my sister went there in 1941.  The school closed in 1966.

Good night, ya'll.

Joe K

• View Profile
Hi Steve,

Have you heard about the Motorcycle Cannonball?  1929 and earlier motorcycles driving cross country.  This year in September they are going from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon with a stop in Sturgis.  They might be close enough to northern Colorado for you do drive your 1927 Harley up to rendezvous with them as they pass by.  I have attached the link so you and other members can see the article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/motorcycle-cannonball-coming-ready-142046663.html

Joe K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Steve,

Have you heard about the Motorcycle Cannonball?  1929 and earlier motorcycles driving cross country.  This year in September they are going from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon with a stop in Sturgis.  They might be close enough to northern Colorado for you do drive your 1927 Harley up to rendezvous with them as they pass by.  I have attached the link so you and other members can see the article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/motorcycle-cannonball-coming-ready-142046663.html

Joe K.

Thanks Joe!  yes, i am a member of the amca and follow the cannonball every other year it runs.  the closest the route gets to me this year is sturgis, sd, about 350 miles north of me.  and i am working on my master's degree, so not a whole lotta time for motorcycle stuff.  when i'm done with school i intend on taking one long trip a year, and when the cannonball is closer, i'll meet up with them.  those guys go through alot, sometimes limping in to their destination, then staying up all night doing a complete engine rebuild, if they're lucky getting an hour or so of sleep and then go out in the morning again heading to their next destination.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Great stuff and pics, Steve. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Joe K

• View Profile
Steve,

I am glad to hear that you know and keep up with them.  It's just amazing to hear that they rebuild their motors as needed for the cross country journey.  I hope to own a pre-1930 bike someday.  Good luck with your Master's degree.  As one of my professors used to say "Press On" by Calvin Coolidge.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan "Press On" has solved and always will
solve the problems of the human race.

Joe K.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mr Swan, When you decide to do some touring yuz needs to break out of your comfort zone (USA) and do a bit of international touring. I have 1 or 2 bikes that need the Mr Swan touch 😁 whilst you are here
Yabba Dabba KP