Honda CB750 Sandcast

Cylinder casting question for later sandcast

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
I’m about to take delivery of sandcast 5920 with engine number 6000. Unfortunately the cylinder has a couple of broken fins. I want to replace it, but make sure I’m using the right style. I know that it shouldn’t have the cam chain bolt hole, but what about the casting modification? Picture A is of a sandcast cylinder, picture B is of a later casting that does not have the bolt hole drilled. Would “B” be correct for a late sandcast such as engine 6000? Or do I have to acquire an “A” for certain? Thanks for all your help.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Blake,

i would not replace the cyl.head unless it is so bad, it is not worht repairing.

I never replace any parts on a restoration unless the condition of the part is so poor i am forced to.

Any competent welder can repair those fins.

What i do, is i cut off fins from another head and have them welded on to the head undergoing repair.

KP McGovern is familiar with sandcast cylind head types.

Chris Rushton is familiar with parts interchangeablity.

Both of them are on the BB regularly, they should respond in a timely fashion.

If they do not, try writing them an email.

Steve

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Thanks Steve! I feel better all ready. I hated the prospect of losing that cylinder, but have never dealt with repairing broken fins. I have a donor waiting. Now I just need to find a good welder.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Blake, There is a difference in the aluminum used on a 1969 head and a later head, likely the difference in metallurgy. Characteristics of aluminum metal of crank cases between the years is even more evident. I have a welder who can weld .005 sheeting into cigarette diameter tubing, no matter whether it's aluminum steel or stainless sheeting. He knows the properties and characteristics of metals when subjected to the heat involved with welding, i.e., melting metal. He told me when he welded the fins, the metal was a bit more dense, tighter molecular structure, less contaminats, in later metal fins than earlier fins, the earlier fins melted more quickly and the aluminum flowed rapidly, compared to the later aluminum. As i recall, i used the fins off a 1974 head. That's why it's important to find a competent welder as the earlier and later metals react differently to heat when melted. There has to be good welders in your area. A good motorcycle shop should know of skilled welders and machinists. After you find a welder, i would explain what you have and what you need done and listen to what experience he says he has. If he has examples of his work for you to see, that would be good. I had repaired a set of unstamped s.c. cases, they were very badly damaged, two new pieces had to be machined with compound angles then fitted into the hole. The new aluminum billet was a handful to weld into the old alum. sandcast cases, but after repair, cannot see where repair line was. Of course there is significant dressing down that needs be done so one cannot see the repair. The important thing is to not rush with the project. Time taken is time well spent and your finished product will reflect your effort.

Blake, you'll have to forgive me, but being 57, i've begun noticing everyone is starting to look younger and younger (especially Allan Landry....!) Are you the "young" fellow with glasses that introduced yourself to me at the meet as our "newest member?"

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
That's great information Steve. I'll make sure to discuss it all with any potential welder.

Yes, I'm that guy. I'm really excited to get connected with people who appreciate the sandcast 750 as much as I do.

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Thought I would follow up on this thread with some pictures of the fins in question. Let me know your thoughts.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Blake, i am not a welder, but i am guessing since those fins are not at the top or the bottom, but in the middle, wold need to remove the lower 3 fins to repair the other fins, then relace the fins removed. I can connect you with the man who had my repairs done, his work is par excellence. Not as expensive as one would think and easier than trying to find a replacement. If you are interested in contacting "my guy," let me know. steve

tomcourtney

• View Profile
Wow Blake thats taken a big hit to brake out a piece of the block exposing the liner, i think i can see a dent in the liner from the fin?
I would be buying another barrel for that one... TC
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Yeah, I want to save it if I can, like Steve mentioned, but I'm concerned that there might be more issues with it once I pull it off and have a professional look at it. So I've taken the precaution of buying a correct replacement. That way I'm covered either way. Thanks for the post Tom.

sancastnorway

• View Profile
I have used HTS200 to fix fins like that on a couple of CB92, works great, and you dont have to cut out other pieces.