Honda CB750 Sandcast

Bringing 1983 / 2005 back to live

Don R

• View Profile
 Maybe the next person that ships you a part from the US can pack it with a gray scotchbrite?

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Maybe the next person that ships you a part from the US can pack it with a gray scotchbrite?

Good hint, but too late  :-[
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

DW69K0

• View Profile

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
I have a problem with the steering stem stop. It does not stop.

I think it comes from that washer under my new bearing (came with the bearing set)
It seems to be too thick and now the whole lower clamp is a bit too far away from the frame. So the stop gussets slide under the head frame

Here is a pic before it went into the frame.

I will have to take out the front fork but honestly I+m a little bit ........., well how do you say ?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:53:31 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Then, I got a nice original 2-hole airbox from Steve.
In red with lovely patina but no cracks.

So I have a new dilemma:
take this one as a genuine part and have it new painted by Menno or take a new repro box?

DW69K0

• View Profile
Go with the genuine box and have it painted, always better than re-pop.
IMHO,
DW

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Here it is

DW69K0

• View Profile
No question, keep the original one and repaint this air box, it looks to be in great condition.
Best,
Duane

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

I think it comes from that washer under my new bearing (came with the bearing set)
It seems to be too thick and now the whole lower clamp is a bit too far away from the frame. So the stop gussets slide under the head frame

I will have to take out the front fork but honestly I+m a little bit ........., well how do you say ?

I set up 2157 with the Timken bearing kit,  if i remember correctly, i did not use that thick washer.  For whatever the reason, the steering head would loosen up with some riding,  i had to very slightly tighten the ring nut under the upper clamp a couple times before the steering head stopped loosening up.  If i had it to do over again, i would have kept the original ball bearing setup, but the races were pitted and had some serious detent.  I would suggest removing that thick washer and see how that affects your steering head setup.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

I set up 2157 with the Timken bearing kit,  if i remember correctly, i did not use that thick washer.  For whatever the reason, the steering head would loosen up with some riding,  i had to very slightly tighten the ring nut under the upper clamp a couple times before the steering head stopped loosening up.  If i had it to do over again, i would have kept the original ball bearing setup, but the races were pitted and had some serious detent.  I would suggest removing that thick washer and see how that affects your steering head setup.

i think "pissed" is the word.....  if it makes you feel any better, i understand.  i assembled the spring forks on my 27 H-D incorrectly and had installed them to the rigid fork and then had installed the entire assembly to the steering head.  all the parts were painted and so i had to be very careful to not scratch the paint when i took the forks apart.  the spring forks have 2 springs in each tube along with 4 more heavy springs that go between the rigid and spring forks that have to be compressed using a special spring compressing tool.  the springs were loaded with grease and are under a few hundred pounds of pressure in each leg.  i had the plunger in each fork tube upside down, so i had to take them completely apart and put them in the correct direction. 

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Shit happens and that sounds much more annoying.

I will try to fix that with 2,3 or 4 slim washers.

Got parcel today. Hex14 oil filter bolt came in.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Curious.... I fitted a taper bearing head set and DID use the thick plain washer - and everything lined up just so. All I can remember is the kit had part number SSH750, not sure what brand it was.

Cheers - Chris
Chris R.
302/338

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Will check that next week.

And change steering lock when steering head is out.

Found number matching steering lock to my ignition switch here in Germany with key

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Sent airfilter case to Menno.