Honda CB750 Sandcast

Facebook

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
For all members;

I created yesterday a facebook group to share informations and photos about CB750 K0 diecast and sandcast bikes. The objective is the same, it is a place where the owners of these machines can share their experiences, their machines with each other. The group has only 8 members until now. The group it is not mine, but is from eveyone like me that loves and want to preserve this icone for the future.
I don't have any financial interest.

The address is https://www.facebook.com/groups/634919693256132/

Thanks.

Marcello

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i've been aware for quite some time of this facebook site.  i find it interesting what must have motivated Marcello to start a different forum independent and separate from SOOC which at times struggles to garner consistent, active and meaningful interest in things sandcast.  I'll be honest.  Frankly, i feel it is a bit of betrayal on the parts of SOOC members who started this facebook site and contribute to it.  When Marcello was putting his sandcast together, i helped him procure some rather hard to find parts to make his project correct and basically, it seems to me what SOOC gets in return is various members' desertion from SOOC and  other so called members of SOOC actively participating on facebook and not on SOOC.  This type of behavior does not support Sam and his efforts, and does not support SOOC.  For me, this behavior is even worse than some long time members whose only "contributions" are when they post "wanted, looking for parts," and others who "join" SOOC to show off their sandcast discovery using SOOC as an advertising medium and disappear after they get the attention and good will they came looking for.  There's likely a part of facebook i just don't understand, seeing Yamiya joined so i suppose facebook creates a presence for an advertising medium and others who perhaps don't have a sandcast and still others who don't get from SOOC what they apparently get from facebook.  as a facebook member on an antique Harley-Davidson forum, i get the convenience and quickness of posting and messaging.  oh well.  Enjoy what you like; Live and Let Live.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
as i am curious and would like to know why people, especially longstanding members participate on sandcast facebook, i am going to make my first post over there soon to hear what these folks can share.  understanding why people use facebook more and SOOC less or not at all can perhaps only be of benefit to SOOC.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes interesting post Mr swan. Social media is the "embraced thing" compared to the old web-board chat rooms I guess. They obviously have a very good following and participation rate whereas we struggle to get any feedback from our group members ever. I actually don't have a Facebook account period and therefore can't join, but for me I really only have an interest in sandcast. The fact they embrace the K0 inclusive; sandcast and diecast may be the reason. Maybe those who are members of both can give some feedback. Maybe this board should have a facebook page
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
thanks for your reply, KP.  sooc having a facebook page might not be a bad idea, but then we have 3 venues for information being in 3 different places.  it's challenge enough getting the info on sooc website and sooc forum in one place, much less coherent.  the "Distinction" page is one example of that.  i started it but couldn't keep up with it and then it spiraled more or less out of control by subsequent very welcome discoveries fellow members contributed.  i guess my overall goal is to support Sam as much as is realistically possible for me to do.  He has taken on a huge project.  for example, this new forum is great.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Hello Steve,

first I admit, sometimes I give answers there on this facebook site.

I am member (in fact I am 2nd secretray) of the Z-Club Germany e.V.
So my second heart beats for old Kawa (and in the last two years I was bussy restoring some of them).

We have a a homepage and a forum as well, full of details and tons of info on old Z. Restoration dokus and everything else you need.
Not as good as the SOOC forum, but not bad either.

I have to say that same happens as here. Most people switch to facebook or, even more confusing, create their own
whattsap group.

So we have the same discussion: why and what can be done. But I'm afraid we didn't found the answer.

My personal answer to "why" is: its easier to operate on cell phones, you dont have to search for the correct sub-forum, if you write BS it will soon fall down and
will be forgotten.

Many people only want a quick answer. Those dont want to share and document for later readers.

Maybe a special problem for Sandcast is, those bikes are not or rarely driven. So when bike is done, its more or less done. Mine is sitting in the garage since then.

My proposal :

. change the name to something like sandcast and diecast forum. Maybe that will generate more traffic.
- create a sub-forum  like "other bike"and lets see what other fellows have as well

Sorry for my English.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:40:45 pm by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Uli, thank you for your thoughts, they are valid.  I may be mistaken, but i believe changing the web address would not be an easy undertaking, it would require a whole new domain and migrating information to another domain creates a number of major considerations and very time consuming if even at all possible. 

in the matter of things K0, years ago, when i was the sooc manager, Wayne Telford use his very able talents to create a topic on the forum for K0.  Since that time interest has been and remains minimal.  While i favor inclusiveness, the original intent of the site was for sandcast only, and speaking only for myself,  for a number of reasons, i believe that is where the primary purpose of SOOC should remain. 

Furthermore, i want to be very careful to not cross boundaries with Sam Roberts who is in charge of any changes to the forum or the actual website.  After Sam took over, i specifically requested him to remove my administrative privileges, so i am now a member among members and nothing else.  i do not intend to give this thread any more life than it already has, more than anything else, given my ignorance of cyber media was curious as to why participate on facebook and less so on SOOC.  Sam is doing a great job, Wayne did a great job and i do not want to interfere with their work, only contribute as i can.  The sooner this topic dies off, the happier i'll be.

All this being said, as things are, the presence of a sandcast facebook is what it is and people use facebook for reasons you mention and other reasons as well.  Beyond that, when the website went live December 24, 2004, i put a lot  of myself to get the website ready to go online, many hours to have some worthwhile information on the website and last and least of all the generous financial help from KP McGovern and Chris Rushton to pay for someone to develop the website.  In the beginning, i made the incorrect assumption that anyone joining SOOC would have the same amount of passion that i had for the CB750 sandcast, which i learned is not the case.  I think it only natural, especially back in 2004, when the internet was still a relatively new phenomenon, that i not only felt a responsibility to the sandcast motorcycle, and to the membership as it developed and so i felt i needed to be protective of if not a bit possessive of SOOC, at least in the beginning because i truly wanted to SOOC to have all the participation other members were willing to offer.  I've always tried to keep my ego out of things, but it's only human to have a little bit of my ego invested in anything i do as all that i do is a reflection of who i am and how people are treated and i want to be treated.  i learned a lot throughout the process.   To be perfectly honest, i felt rather annoyed and disgusted when people used and now far less so now when so-called members still use SOOC for their personal gain and little or nothing else.  Furthermore, perhaps you can imagine my surprise learning sandcast facebook was started by fellow member Marcello Tha and there was no communication to that effect.   As i mentioned before, after helping Marcello with parts, i accidentally stumbled on to the facebook he started, so, i believe it's only human to have some mixed feelings such as i have had.  (Apparently, when Marcello made his  2014 thread herein announcing he had started the facebook site i missed his posting the the thread).

In any event, this thread has been another part of the process for me completely letting go of SOOC.  I intend to let this topic and this thread die.  While i have many fond memories as a young man taking ownership of 4779, September 30, 1969, that created a passion strong enough to start this website, i have a number of other interests that take my time and energy.  i'm going to focus on being a member among fellow members and positively contribute when or where i can.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for your kind comments Steve. And thanks for caring about our little community. You and a few others are key to keeping it alive!

As far as Facebook goes, I am not too bothered. They have a few billion more users than us, so I am not surprised that people are there. I suspect that until people decide that Facebook isn't a company they want to support anymore, they will continue to have a strong sandcast group. No problem!

The one thing we have that nobody else has? The LARGEST collection of sandcast information on the planet. That is our strength and I plan to keep it that way!

;D
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608