Honda CB750 Sandcast

Forum history

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
Someone can tell me something about the forum history?
How was created?
What was the first post?
Etc...

Tks.

Marcello

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Good question.

Hopefully mine is not the last. Sometimes I think so.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Good question.

Hopefully mine is not the last. Sometimes I think so.

the forum was started December 24, 2004 when the website went online.  a number of us early members posted frequently (and loaded much information in to the website it's self) to stimulate interest and share what we were learning about the sandcast CB750.   several years ago, the posts contained in the old forum server were migrated -one post at a time- to a new server.  Wayne, alone, took on that tedious job to read and then manually migrate each and every post, one post at a time.

Initially, a small number of us put in much time and effort to create what many now benefit from.  Over the years, there has been repeated invitations for fellow members to contribute their time, energy and skills to improve the website.  it seems most people are content posting on the forum, their restoration efforts and sharing distinctions they find on their vins.

on the one hand, the information contained in the website and on the forum is invaluable to folks who have come along since those of us in earlier days were working on our own bikes, discovering distinctions, sharing them to benefit others.  when we earlier guys post, we tend to write about our most recent discoveries or thoughts that were related or built upon earlier discoveries or thoughts.  (We don't tend to repeat our earlier discoveries or thoughts and tend to rely on new members exploring and searching the website and forum for answers to their questions.)

on the other hand, the breadth and scope of things to be learned about the sandcast CB750 is fairly narrow and small in contrast to the last approximately 131 years of motorcycle history beginning with the 1885 Daimler.  Some of us (myself) have interest in motorcycles other than CB750 sandcast and for that matter, interests other than motorcycles.  my passion for things CB750 sandcast were driven by the fact my Dad bought 4779 new in September, 1969.  That being said, could partially explain why the forum is not as active as we sometimes would like it to be.

i hope this post somewhat answers your question, Marcello.

Uli, i hope you keep sharing what you are finding on your sandcast.  Initially, after reading your reply to Marcello, i was not going to respond to his question.  But since i was involved with the start up of the website and the forum, i felt an obligation to reply to Marcello's question.  For me personally, your comment is confusing.  Honestly, i interpret it as a bit sarcastic, insulting and insensitive to the contributions of others.  It makes me want to withdraw my participation, limited as it already is.  

If i misinterpret the meaning of your reply, Uli, please clarify for my benefit.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Someone can tell me something about the forum history?
How was created?
What was the first post?
Etc...

Tks.

Marcello

Marcello, in my recognizing Wayne for migrating the posts of the old forum to the new forum, he had to make decisions what posts needed be saved vs not saved.  the posts not saved were felt to not contain any information directly relevant to saving or restoring sandcasts.

as far as the first post, i don't know if it exists.  since i am the one who "pulled the trigger" for sooc going online, i imagine i probably wrote the first post, probably a welcoming invitation for others to participate.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Sincerely... Sometimes my thoughts are the same as that of Uli...
Of about 510 registered members... Only about ten members make the show...
It is to believe that others will never have opinions about anything...

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:25:08 am by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Honestly... Sometimes my thoughts are the same as those of Uli...
Of about 510 registered members... Only about ten members make the show...
It is to believe that others will never have opinions about anything...

Gerard, glad top see your post.  your comments are specific and not sarcastic.  i'm not trying to kill the messenger.  it is not easy to sustain interest or stay involved when participation is so limited.

Erling

• View Profile
Might well have some opinion.
For my part I mostly learn about a motorcycle I've had for 47 years, in 3 week time!
And not really know inside out of!
In other words, don't think I can ad to the knowledge in this  forum.
Erling.