Honda CB750 Sandcast

Newbie in Canada

SebringMike

• View Profile
Hello Folks,
I'm Mike, and I live in Western Canada.
My father and I have acquired, what we think, is a fairly unique engine.
The serial number is CB750-1000767. Note that there is no "E" in the serial number.
Further, this is not a sandcast engine (unfortunately). It appears to be a very early die-cast engine.

We were told by the previous owner that it was a warranty replacement for a failed sandcast engine.

Our intention is to restore a bike that is as early a 69/70 CB750 as possible, including as much sandcast hardware as we can.
The original frame is gone, but we've acquired the earliest frame that we can; CB750-1016086.

So first, I'd like ask the group about the "uniqueness" of the engine.
Second, anybody got a frame that's close to 1000767, that they're willing to part with?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
1969 Honda CB750 die cast SN117xx... to be restored and the reason I'm here

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome Mike
My suggestion is you post a photo of the engine number stampings. It was not normal for Honda to restamp replacement cases so would seem possible that the dealer who did the warranty/replacement of the cases to have stamped them using the original number. This was not uncommon. Honda frame and engine fonts are unique
Again, welcome to the forum. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

SebringMike

• View Profile
KP and Pete,
Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

KP,
We understood that it was the dealers who stamped the replacement engine, and that is likely where the error was made.
[/URL]

We are very clear that this isn't a sandcast, but at the same time we hope to create the "earliest" CB750 that we can. My father has a '71, and it also looks like he's getting a '74... so we're starting to build a small stable of CB750s!

Mike

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes Mike, these are restamped numbers and the E has been dropped The dealer has a done a nice job with the stamps I must say
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

SebringMike

• View Profile
So is there anything particularly special/unique about the motor, considering the low SN and the error?

Thanks,
Mike

4pots1969

• View Profile
Mike.... Welcome to the SandcastOnly !! ;)
For me there is nothing special in this engine and maybe they did not have the letters buffers to add the E ...
It would surely have more value if it had not been stamped and I think he had no right to do it with a different font than the Honda plant...It is an excess of zeal on the part of Honda dealer!
The big problem to rebuild this bike is that there is nothing good and for the engine and for the frame ....Too bad you do not have the original frame to 1000600...If I understood everything...
I am facing a similar problem for almost my Sandcast E-1017118 because I want a french frame + or - 1016500....
Gerard
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:43:30 am by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well! Not knowing what was replaced I can say if all the internals were reused then early items such as crank, oil pump, output shaft, rocker gear, camshaft, and a sprinkling of other bits then that is something a Sandcast owner would like to have. If the pots, head, cam cover, oil lines, carbies, are as originally fitted to the engine then these items are worth some monies
My suggestion would be to try and matc your early K0 frame to a period correct engine
Is it possible to post some further engine shots such as front sides rear etc
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
What bothers me a little in this engine ...  If the transfer of the cranckases had been done correctly by the Honda dealer, we should find all the bolts 6 mm with 8 on the heads ... with a single bolt 8 on the protector case ...What would be a good sign for inside the engine...
I expect also more photos.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:10:20 am by 4pots1969 »

UK Pete

• View Profile
Mike make the best you can with the bits you have got, but it wont have the value of a sandcast or a early k0, but you still will end up with a desirable bike which you can maybe sell on and then find an original early bike if you still have the bug
pete

SebringMike

• View Profile
4pots1969 and kp,
In summary, and correct me if I'm wrong; in your opinion, if the guts of the engine are sandcast, then there could be some value there. Otherwise, the engine is an oddity but nothing special.

UK Pete,
I believe this is the path we will take.

All,
I'm probably 6 months away from starting this restoration, so I've got time to consider frame VINs, engine VINs, etc. We're collecting as much early CB750 parts as we can, with the hopes of having a '69 in our stable. We'll see what the next few months bring!

Thanks for your input,
Mike

4pots1969

• View Profile
Mike, ;)
Personally I do not think that will be the Honda dealer has stamped this engine...
Just my opinion...
Honda has made very weird thing 69 and 70 for the production of its CB750 against by your engine is not an oddity... far from it...
I put you in the end post pictures ranked top five worthy of the Honda quirk... I let you find errors !!
Of course all the parts of an engine or other parts of Sandcast have more value because production was limited after... But you have to see to know, and sometimes this is not enough...
After it should not fall into the hysteria for a single washer as some.... Because you will not be able to differentiate a 1969 washer with a 1970 washer !! :-[ :-[
In a restoration and no matter what it is, the hardest part is knowing what is acceptable and what is not !!
Gerard
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 03:57:22 am by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mike, yes some parts of the engine have value but not overly so. A good early alternator cover would fetch the biggest money but externally not much else. If you have a Sandcast head with original rocker gear you might expect to sell for say $300, the cam cover maybe $100 to $150. This is just a guide for some parts but I agree with Gerard, the only items of value are few and then only of value to someone wanting the part. Al the other sundry stuff is same as, same as, same as all the other 750 stuff
As I said maybe try and source an engine that is a better match to your K0 frame as there are plenty out there. Remember you have a range of say -200 to +200 of your frame so around 400 engine numbers to choose from🤔
Just my thoughts KP
Yabba Dabba KP

SebringMike

• View Profile
Time for a reintroduction/update.
Based on the feedback from my first post, and a review of all of the missing parts from the first bike, we decided to look for a more complete 750 for restoration.
The local Honda dealer had taken a early '69 in for trade-in on a generator, and offered it to us.
The serial number is 117xx... a relatively early diecast bike; virtually complete, and with quite a few NOS and used spares.
What I like about the bike is that it shares some of the same unique parts as the sandcasts, and that's why I've lurked in the background... and will continue to learn from the previous experiences of you fine folks. Thanks to those who've already contributed to my restoration!
So far I have a double-cut front fender, double-rolled rear wheel, 2-hole rear hub and no-number exhausts.
So long story short, thanks for your help to date.
Mike