Make or type of lacquer

Paint
0 (0%)
Alloy parts
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Garry32

• View Profile
Can anyone tell me the best method and type of lacquering for the wheel hubs, engine covers and fork sliders.
Thank you Garry 🇬🇧😄
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:07:58 am by Garry32 »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here are the steps that I use.

• Sand and polish the parts
  • Gently add scratches back into the parts to get the factory look. I use grey and/or white scotchbrite pads. You can leave them polished of course. My 100% original parts aren't perfectly polished though. Scotchbriting them gets them very close!
  • Clean the part completely. Super important to do this right. Get a wax and grease remover from your parts store.
  • Clean them again  ;D
  • Spray three medium coats of clear glossy engine paint 5 to 10 minutes apart. I use duplicolor engine enamel. Great stuff. If you aren't in a spray booth, it is best to spray in the shade. This gives the paint a bit of time to smooth itself out and thus have less orange peel.
  • Bake the parts in your oven to harden the engine paint. I bake them at about 225F for 20 minutes or so. Of course you will want to sit them in the oven in a way that won't touch any of the paint. Remove them from the oven without touching the paint either. After 30 minutes of cooling down you will have a very strong and accurate finish!

Hope this helps!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Garry32

• View Profile
Okay Ujeni. Thank you very much ,much appreciated.
Garry 🇬🇧😎

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:08:42 am by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

4pots1969

• View Profile

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile