Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Guy in OC needs suggestions - Just got bike 778

Gutz · 36 · 7738

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Only issue is a very high idle. I tried to adjust down but got to the bottom of the cable adjustment and still didn't work".

I do wonder if the problem is that the throttle stops screws on the carb bodies are too far in, causing the slides to be too high at idle - Steve's suggestion number 2 would confirm or otherwise this. This would also fit with what you have said about cable adjustment not allowing the correct idle.

Idle speed is controlled by the throttle stop screws (there MUST be freeplay in the cables at idle), individual cable adjusters are used to set equal lift of the slides due to throttle twist.

#778 is quite a find - enjoy, whatever you decide to do with it.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Excellent additional comment by Chris.  reading what Chris wrote, the factory workshop manual has a excellent instructions for the carb settings and cable adjustment/setup procedure.  if you have a factory or Clymer's, etc manual or you know the step by step procedure for carb/cable setup, you are otherwise swinging your arms in the dark.

Gutz

• View Profile
No posts in a while due to some work trips but I really want to thank you all for you posts and help. A wealth of information on this board.

I decided I had to tap out, know my limits and found a good shop to take it into. I can figure stuff out pretty well but this might have taken a while and my wife and kids may have filed a missing persons report.

My mechanic knows this bike well and did the points, timing, valves and finished my work on the carbs. She purrs nicely now. Here's my plan of attack moving forward. Tell me what you think of the following:

My strategy is to let the mechanic finish the process of making it safe and road-worthy so I can ride it for a while. The next three major cosmetics projects I think I can do in pieces.
1. Paint: Is it crazy to just do this alone and have new paint and everything else patina?
2. Chrome:  I may be okay with the patina on the chrome for a while, but it seems like it's not a lot of work to do the chrome as it's own project at it's own time.
3. Frame and Engine: I view painting the frame and the engine as one concurrent project.

Tell me if I this strategy is reasonable or if I'm just being penny-wise and pound foolish. Don't hold back!

Some other questions
I ordered Yamaya seat cover and foam. Do they come with instructions or is the process pretty straight forward?
What kind of tires do you guys recommend for riding?
The master cylinder is really frozen and my guy thinks it's beyond repair. KP said it doesn't look original. Is this bike supposed to have a black one with a black or silver cap? Also, should I just get new hoses as well? Any recommendations on parts. What are ya'lls thoughts on vintagecb750.com and other sites? Yamiya is crazy pricey.

As always thanks for your input.

Mike

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey Gutz
I just downloaded the photo of that master cylinder and played around with the image PLEASE NOTE This master cylinder may in fact be an early one without the level line The photo looks like it has a level line but I now believe this is just a stain line
The later cylinder has a level line which is cut into the alloy You cannot miss this line as it is about 1mm deep on the inner surface of the cylinder
Maybe another picture can be taken so we can verify for sure Whatever you do don't throw this MC away
Also can you take a photo of the underside of the second LH switch you previously photographed The one I refer to is the very faded switch
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Don R

• View Profile
 I didn't see where you replaced the drive chain. I would do that in any case before riding it. And if you have to replace anything, keep every original part no matter how junk it might seem.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile

My strategy is to let the mechanic finish the process of making it safe and road-worthy so I can ride it for a while. The next three major cosmetics projects I think I can do in pieces.
1. Paint: Is it crazy to just do this alone and have new paint and everything else patina?
2. Chrome:  I may be okay with the patina on the chrome for a while, but it seems like it's not a lot of work to do the chrome as it's own project at it's own time.
3. Frame and Engine: I view painting the frame and the engine as one concurrent project.

BTW: rust is not patina.

ad 1.) yes, don't do that. Once painted you will have to restore everything. So keep it as it is, clean the inside or look for a set in candy red or bluegreen with patina

ad 2.) Don't try to get rid of the rust spots mechanically. That will give more scratches. At first step I would use rust remover. Vinegar or other stuff.  I use "Rostio" (don't know if you get it over the pot)
In the long run, you will have to have it de-chromed, grinded and then newly chromed. Not cheap but the only way for parts that are hard to find, especially front and back fender, rear wheel.

ad 3.) certainly. Then your bike is in pieces. And you will clean or replace any piece. But beware: the sandcast world still discussing if engines were ever painted when new or not.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:39:57 pm by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)