Honda CB750 Sandcast

Story of super rare Honda Dream from 1956 and other bikes ;)

Guest · 19 · 7563

terecha

Hello!

Sadly I have to sell my collection of motorcycles, which I have purchased during my short - almost 30 years live.

I have 3 modern bikes. I know their value, but the early Hondas are expensive.

1. Dream MF350 from 1956.

Propably the rarest Honda above dream D. I'd love to drive it. It was no more than 100 units produced (only during a couple of months 56/57). Japanesse Vintage Motorcycle Club, said that till today there is no more than 4 complete MF bikes saved in the world.

It was modified SB350 model. SB had 14HP, MF has got 20HP.

Honda Dream MF was the most powerfull Honda of the early era.
MF was prepared to the races. Please see the picture from 1957. Mr Soichiro Honda is a man with a hat, and the MF is here too (without the covers, with modified rear suspension and seat).

Also compared with Dream SB, MF has got different fender's fin and front suspension - 4 swingarms (not forks like in SB), winkers in an amazing shape (only one Honda model had this lens shape and this is the first Honda with winkers - earlier Honda had semaphores as option), different horn, tank, rear seat and many, many smaller things.
But the most beautifull is banana type pipe.

Last time I recognized that MF has got the top solutions in the engine.
1. Brake integrated with the sprocket.
2. You can switch directly from the last gear to the first.
3. And the enigne has got 2 separated oil chambers. One for the clutch and gearbox, second for the cylinder and head. So you can use different oil for clutch and gearbox and different for the combustion chamber.
4. Gear indicator

In 1956 bike costed 189 000 yens, you could buy 68 gold ounces for it, or Konrad Adenauer's Mercedes, so it was very expensive & luxury bike.
It's a website with MF350's pics:
http://www.bike-tamonten.com/gallery/read.php?id=1008

The bike is almost finished and well restored. It is matching numbers – has got papers from Honda headquarter.

2. The smaller one is ME250 from 1957:

It is quite common bike. I think still 200 units worldwide. Bike is unrestored like in the picture. Engine cranks and should run well, needs only carburetor needle.

3. Dream 3E 1953
Runs great, everything works well. Only the tachometer line is cut, so mileage should be bigger than the tacho shows.
Picture from the time before restoration.

It will get new paint and chromes in a month. Still has got all genuine parts ;) Whole life the bike spent in the heated room, it will be the first restoration so far :)

4. Honda CB77 1964
Restoration is 70% finished. Bike is totally unscrewed now.

Some pictures from MF restoration
Water drops over whole bike this is just a rain. Bike was 15 minutes outside.

There is no Honda Dream MF in Honda Museum. They have only Dream SA, which was very common bike.

There were 4 main Dream models in these times. SA (12 HP), ME (12 HP), SB(14HP), MF (20 HP).

MF was the rarest, the most expensive and had the most powerfull engine and some gadgets like you can see.

My MF has got old Japanesse papers from registration and Honda certificate that it is matching number and when was produced.

Please see how it looked when I purchased it 6 years ago.

And some newer pics...

The last pics...

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is a great post. I'm sure the group will find your post very informative, just as I have. Until you told this story I hadn't heard of an MF 350. Thanks for sharing. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Prospect

• View Profile
Great Post.  Can you share how you found such a rare bike?  What is it's history?
Vin 256/106

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the pictures - I love '50's Honda's!
Where do you find parts (I need a number of parts for my Benly J)?

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

terecha

Hi!

I don't know the full story of bike. It was purchased several years ago from nice British gentleman. Bike was in bad condition.

Parts I got from the good people, who collected and saved them.

Chris what do you need for Benly? I am sure have the tank.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Superb bikes !! Very Very Rare !! Thanks for sharing...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:16:14 am by 4pots1969 »

terecha

• View Profile
Dream 3E finished and Dream MF's first engine start after restoration

Joe K

• View Profile
Those bikes are beautiful works of art!  Good restoration work.

Joe K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Dream 3E finished and Dream MF's first engine start after restoration

MF's lower aspect of front forks is very interesting!!   i have never seen forks like that.  Can you please share with us about those forks?

terecha

• View Profile

It is very complicated suspension. Upper part looks like in the modern bikes, but lower part bases on swingarm.

F - spring
E - piston
D - push rod
B - swingarm
C - anvil to which the swingarm is connected
J - rubber block - anvil hits it
K - pin connects anvil to piston rod
P - piston moves oil from 1s to 2nd chamber

Picture came from old genuine Honda magazine.

When the bike meets bump - then the anvil (C) and piston (E) goes up, spring is compressed and piston (P) goes to front. Everything in oil bath.
It is very complicated and very comfortable, this is why this bike was so expensive and so rare ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:30:26 pm by terecha »

terecha

• View Profile
DESCRIPTION UPDATE

Dream MF350 from 1956.

Restored from a crap. 10 years restoration... Engine runs and electrical devices work.

Propably the rarest Honda in the world now. Only 5 bikes known worldwide. Short production (only during a couple  of months 56/57).

It was modified SB350 model. SB had 14HP, MF has got 20HP.

Honda Dream MF was the most powerfull Honda of the early era.

MF was a short series prepared to the races. Please see the picture from 1957. Mr Soichiro Honda is a man with a hat, and the MF is here too (without the covers, with modified rear suspension and seat).

Bikes like this won everything in Mount Asama races in 350cc class and in many other races around Japan.

Also compared with Dream SB, MF has got different fender's fin and front suspension - 4 swingarms (not forks like in SB), winkers in an amazing shape (only one Honda model had this lens shape and this is the first Honda with winkers - earlier Honda had semaphores as option), different horn, tank, rear seat and many, many smaller things. But the most beautiful is banana type pipe. Also a lot of modifications in engine - bigger valves, different head, bigger intake and filter, different camshaft.

Last time I recognized that MF has got the top solutions, don't known in other Japanese bikes from 1950's.

1. Brake integrated with the sprocket.
2. You can switch directly from the last gear to the first.
3. And the enigne has got 2 separated oil chambers. One for the clutch  and gearbox, second for the cylinder and head. So you can use different  oil for clutch and gearbox and different for the combustion chamber.
4. Gear indicator
5. Rear sprocket rubber damper like in the modern bikes
6. Electrical turn signals (semphores were used in other bikes)
7. It is the first Japanese bike with RAM air system (dynamic boost).

Bike in 1956 costed 187000-189000 yens - you could buy 68 ounces of gold for it. Bike is so rare that Honda hasn't printed part lists for this model, which covers engine area. All other models had suitable part lists.

Almost all parts are genuine!  Genuine exahust was found in Japan and was repaired by craftsman. Also I found geuine front lamp and cover. Even rims and chain are genuine! I also have genuine Japanese documents and Certificate of Authenticity, engine and frame - matching numbers.
Engine was completely rebuild.

Modern are:
Rubbers
All wires and lines
Spokes
Rear lens, winker lenses (reproduced and look the same like oem) - but I still have the oem
Leathers

So bike is almost 100% geunine!

I have pictures from restoration if someone needs.

MF350 after and before restoration:

Bike will be sold in Bonhams and will show up in Bonhams catalogue of lots soon

The Autumn Stafford Sale
The Classic Motorcycle Mechanics Show
19 Oct 2019 20 Oct 2019

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25384/