Honda CB750 Sandcast

Opinion needed on original paint

guitarkev66

• View Profile
I have sandcast 1977 and the guy I purchased it from had it repainted very nicely just not in its original color.  He had an original paint set used but very nice patina. He sold me the side covers fork ears and airbox but not the tank quite a few years ago for a K0 project I had but would part with the tank.  I now have a chance at purchasing the wrinkle tank to complete my set and make my sandcast all original.  The problem is he wants a lot of money for it.  How much more would my sandcast be worth with an original paint on it compared to buying a yamiya wrinkle set?  The original paint is very nice with minimal fading a few scratches and wear marks.  I can probably buy a yamiya wrinkle set for what he wants for the tank.  Also the inside of the tank is spotless.  My other option would be have the repainted set thats on my sandcast repainted it also has a very clean wrinkle tank.  Opinions please....

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi
The questions I would have are
Is the original tank a early 17 litre wrinkle
How much is he asking
As for the Yamiya set, I wouldn't be buying a reproduction set OVER the original
IMHO Yamiya tank stripes are not up to spec
I'm thinking the tank your friend has is a later 17 litre wrinkle but if it's an early with an early petcock, then it would depend on what he's asking
Original bikes in very good condition will win the price contest hands down IMHO
Hope this helps .... KP
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:09:59 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

guitarkev66

• View Profile
I'm not sure how early or late the tank is.  I think he wants $2500 which I feel is a little unrealistic, but the more I think about it where am I going to find another one?..

4pots1969

• View Profile
You'll find him... You just have to be patient... ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:37:22 am by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Gerard is right.  you'll find one.   within the last year, i sold 2, both for under half what 'your' guy wants.  the problem with those early tanks, they use the short neck fuel tap which is a somewhat perishable and easily disposed of part.  after you've contrasted appearances of a short neck tap on a 19 or early 17 liter tank the later long neck taps don't look right on the aforementioned early tanks.

the early 17 liter tank is also known as the "double wrinkle," it has very pronounced wrinkles on sides of tunnel as well as the usual top.  most sellers don't know about this early version, so once in a while they come up priced at late 17 type prices.  i know these early tanks have brought $900 - $1100.  now that i have written this, i suppose all the ebay seller/lurkers will again be quoting the information they glean off this forum.  maybe hermann doering 'sandguss' will magically list an early 17 tank for $10,000 to go with his original 28 caps charade.

4pots1969

• View Profile
 maybe hermann doering 'sandguss' will magically list an early 17 tank for $10,000 to go with his original 28 caps charade.

There is a good chance that it will have one in stock but it will be necessary to add  $10.000 !! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:07:20 pm by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can you ask the seller for some photos or take some yourself Underside tunnel and the petcock. Will be in a much better position to advise you. IMHO $2500 is a bit stiff
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This page will help you identify the tanks and fuel taps as well as VIN ranges for each. (subject to change as we learn more which is never ending)

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/new/tech/frame_group_9.html
[size=

guitarkev66

• View Profile
Thank you gentlemen for all in advice.  Greatly appreciated