Honda CB750 Sandcast

Metric Speedo & Tach (The Japanese Thread)

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
I purchased a parts lot from a guy about 6 months ago and have been finding nice K0 treasures ever since. Recently I uncovered the nice set of metric gauges pictured below. First, the red light in the center of the triple tree, is it a previous owner mod, or is it correct? It seems like I read something somewhere about an indicator on the Japanese models, but I think that’s a long shot. Second, what to do with them? My first inclination was to throw them on e-bay, but I’ve recently been thinking about putting them on sandcast 5920 just to have something unique. Or if there is a European or Aussie member who needs them, I might be open to a trade. Thoughts & Opinions???

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Nice set ! i believe either Steve Vanzetto or Rob Sneil were looking for the speed indicator light......... I am not familiar with the speed indicator light, but i believe there was a cable and a gearbox mechanism that connected to the light somehow. Either of these guys would know or else Chris Rushton.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The red light is indeed a speed "warning" light, as fitted to Japanese market bikes. The light was I believe activated by a device between the speedo cable and speedo drive box (don't know at what speed though). There was a nice "domestic" Gold K0 on Ebay some months back which had this feature and pictures of the drive unit. Certainly something different!

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi there, as Steve S mentioned, I have a Japanese model K0 with same gauges and top triple (Im Steve V). I can confirm it is factory - you only have to look at the underside of the triple to realise it is cast, not drilled in. I have the gauges, light fitting etc, but am still after the speedo mechanism if you have it. I have a picture of the gold K0 that Chris R mentions which shows it. I would also be after the side stand and the rear taillight if you have them available too. the side stand has an additional tang on it to make it easier to kick out. I think the tail light bracket is shorter than US models if I have been told correctly...

I can post/email a photo of the drive mechanism if you need it.

Steven.

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Wow...how cool is that?! I would love to see pictures of the drive mechanism, and also of the kickstand tang you're talking about. This is why I love this site. What was once someone's old junk is now rediscovered and appreciated. I wonder how something intended for the Japanese market made it to Georgia.

cbx1047 posted pictures in his thread "Tail Light" showing a difference in the tail light lens. I checked Yamiya and they offer this lens in a tail light housing unit.

Aug 19, 2009, 8:19pm, cbx1047 wrote:Here are some pictures a domestic (Japanese) tail light and an American (export) tail light. You can see they are both the same size and shape. The only difference is the American type does not have a yellow reflector in the side panels. Marty K. 

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi Blake, a lot of the Japanese Market K0's which appear on ebay in the states start with 'My friend/father/relative was posted in the army in Japan and took this bike back with them'. So I guess this is how they made their way back when they were also selling US models in the states. Ill see what I can do about getting a pic up of the speedo mechanism.... the sidestand I dont have a picture of, but very easy to spot what I mention. The taillight, besides the yellow reflector, has a shorter bracket rising from the rear guard. I have one of the lenses from yamiya (I checked with Katsuya and it is defn a japanese market only lens). Its the bracket Im interested in if there is a difference.
Thanks,
Steven.

vnz00

• View Profile
Blake, could you either send me your email address, or tell me how to link a photo to the message? Thanks.

cb7504

• View Profile
Steve (vnz00) I have a complete tail light assembly on one of my CB750ko's I restored while in japan. I will check it against my american model and let you know if i see any differences. Marty K.

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Marty,

If you have any pictures of your Japanese K0, please post them. I'm starting the get the itch to turn my K0 Japanese. Also was it any easier, harder, or the same to find parts while in Japan?

P.S. I like where this tread is going so I amended the title to "Metric Speedo & Tach (The Japanese Thread)" Anyone out there want to contribute Japanese specific information, please feel free to post it here.

Blake

vnz00

• View Profile

cb7504

• View Profile
Here is a picture of the gear box attached to the speedo for the warning light on the domestic (Japanese) version CB750. Marty K.

myhondas

• View Profile
Blake,
Looking at that photo, I count 7 bulb holders which would be right for the extra light.

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
Thanks Marty and myhondas,

So here's an update from my end. First, my cousin said she doesn't speak enough Japanese to help me out, so that's out the window. Second, I found that Yamyia sales a Japanese version of the parts list. It probably spells it all out nice and clearly in that particular version. I'm considering buying it.

Myhondas, you're right. There are definitely extra sockets in that picture, but I think there may be two harnesses in the photo (maybe a speedo & tach?) with the 8th socket hidden by a shadow or something. Also, since I last posted, I visited a friend in Atlanta that restores and customizes 750's. While I was there, he said, "Here I have something for you" and pulls an indicator light off a shelf. It has the red housing, the screw on plug, bulb, and wiring. It's a completely self contained unit. I couldn't believe it. I don't know if it works. the plastic is cracked and the one of the male plugs is missing, but it's a start.

cb7504

• View Profile
Blake:
I just looked at my domestic(Japanese) parts book , there are nine (9) bulbs total. oil light, high beam light, signal light, neutral light, four illumination bulbs (two per gauge) and the warning light bulb . Marty K.