Honda CB750 Sandcast Forum
February 22, 2018, 07:59:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Signup has been disabled due to a high volume of spam activity. To sign up for an account please email sandcast750@gmail.com - Members, please ensure the email address in your profile is current. As well domain and hosting fees are due. Any donations can be proceeded by clicking on the Donate button

Home   Help SOOC Home Search Calendar Login Register Chat  

You can show your appreciation for the SOOC and support future development by donating via PayPal!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: While we are on the paint topic....  (Read 1353 times)
Steve Swan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »

Posted by "Guest" Frampton

I was wondering what the paint du jour for the frame and other parts was. I looked into powder coating as several of my customers operate them. It seemed that you could only get super gloss...or kinda flat. Nothing in between. I also heard that when powder coating goes bad...it is not a pretty sight, coming off in flakes.
I have an option of two stage epoxy paint...but that too is pretty glossy. Has anyone had success/ failure with another procedure?
Thanks
Steve

Steve Swan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »

Steve,

As for selection of a finish product, I would NEVER powdercoat a frame or any of the ferrous black parts that attach to the frame.

My experience with powdercoat is, it's d**n near impossible to remove once it's applied. It chips easily, even at the tiny "tink" of a combination wrench hitting against it. It is not resistant to any number of chemicals, including gasoline. The result of exposure to seemingly benign chemicals is staining, discoloration & dulling. Repeated exposure to the sun will turn it dull and eventually chalky. With the softest of polishing rags, including flannel, it develops immediately micro-fine scratches that mar the lusture powdercoat has coming out of the curing oven.

Choice of paint and and overall finish is a matter of choice and preference.

There is alot to be learned in copyng exact finishing techniques, as used by the manufacturers. The experience & expertise we develop & hopefully share is one reason for the Purpose of SOOC. And, whether our bikes are an unmolested orignal, an exacting restoration, a lovingly refurbished original or a tastefully administered over-restoration - each is a veritable feast to the eyes and all else that bike does to arouse our passion.

Won't it be exciting when we get our 1st chopper sandcast Member ?

Steve Swan

736cc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »

I find painting the frame a cause for bullets of sweat to break out. You don't want to obliterate the #'s. 90% gloss black enamel on frame and related parts, you don't want it too glossy. Frame #'s can get rusty and yucky thru the years. Clean the frame #s carefully w/ hydroflouric acid and scribe in the # grooves and remove the nimrods hanging around in there while looking closely thru a lupe (I need a life- do I actually do all this stuff???  Roll Eyes ). Sand w/ 120, wipe w/ lighter fluid, prime (LIGHTLY on the #'s) and squirt away black. And you can do-it-youself w/ a rattle can for under $10 and rattle can jobs do not end up ultra-glossy, which is ok. Or you can pay a body shop $300-or more and they will have your extremely valuable and irreplaceable frame in they're possesion doing who knows what to it for much too long. I've had several painted; 2 stage urethane w/ clear; black imron; rattle-can. All ended up looking alike but the pro jobs more scratch resistant. And get repop stickers for head and swingarm, a nice touch. When you go all the way in a resto, its hard to stop and things not perfect start sticking out.
Honda CB750 Sandcast Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: