Honda CB750 Sandcast

Stripped and Polished MC Components

42barab · 10 · 4003

42barab

• View Profile
In trying to follow the steps to get three master cylinders stripped, polished and then black chromic anodized, I got these items back from the shop today.  Attached pics show two MC's, two handlebar clamps (front and back), a MC cap showing some lines left by the polishing, and a gauge bottom cover that has been rechromed.  This is my first ever effort.  My questions are: 

- Is the quality of the stripping and polishing good enough to send them to be anodized? Please be as objectively critical as you need to be.  I'm prepared to have them redone at another shop if necessary.

- Should the inside of the MC's and the handlebar clamps also been done?

- Is the rechroming of the gauge cover par, or should the rough areas around the circumference also have been made smooth before rechroming?  The shop said it would have destroyed the metal if they tried to smooth in the grove.

I look forward to any and all feedback.  Thanks

42barab

• View Profile
One other question: will the lines in the MC cap be covered by the black chromic anodizing, or will they and any other imperfection show through as it might with painting?  Thanks

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The MC you have is not a K0 but a later one IMHO so I wouldn’t think this worth doing for your Sandcast.
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
The big problem of mechanical polishing by a professional, or by you, is that after the operation, the natural angles of the part are rounded ... Me I do not like this procedure because and in addition the result n is far from perfect...

42barab

• View Profile
Thank you all for your feedback on this string and the other under "Brakes".  More pics attached showing the two MC's that the shop stripped and polished.  I believe the left to be a non-SC and the right one a SC.  Pics show shorter mirror mount, threaded brake lever adjuster hole, and beveled thread end on the right MC.  The left MC originally had the sleeve sitting proud of the end of the bolt hole.  The shop removed the proud, but you can still see a faint arc about 1mm outboard of the threaded hole.  If I'm all wrong on these observations, let me know.  Also, of the two handlebar clamps, one has two protrusions 90 degrees from the bolt holes.  Which one would be correct for a SC?

Drawing on your combined years of experience, and SC vs NON-SC aside, is the quality of the stripping and polishing good enough for the anodizing?  On a scale of 1 to 10 (the best), how would you rate it?  This is my first dealing with this shop and I'm fully prepared to search for another one if need be.  Thanks again.

42barab

• View Profile
Cannot attach pics.  Using phone camera, reduced picture size to 8.0 M, some size used earlier in thread posting four pics.  Any help would be appreciated?

4pots1969

• View Profile

42barab

• View Profile
Thanks, Gerard.  I managed to shrink the photos.  Please see attached.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am not sure a light buffing after the removal of the anodise will affect the contours in any way. Yes that looks good You will only get your answer after it is anodised. Have one piece done initially and see what the result is.
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile