Honda CB750 Sandcast

10 minus 1= 9 bolt cover

Don R · 12 · 7954

Don R

• View Profile
 My first attempt at conversion.
  stock,

I got a little porosity and it's a little too round on the corner but not so bad for a first try.

4pots1969

• View Profile

Don R

• View Profile
 I'm not trying to pass it off as original but when you can't find one, you do what you need to. So, you are against all reproduction parts or just this?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:42:44 am by Don R »

4pots1969

• View Profile
I am not at all favorable for the reproduction of the caps "28" carburetors nor for the lid of alternator has thin lip and for this clutch cover has 9 holes, but if it is just to wait in the l ' Hope to find an authentic, I can understand what you have done, and I think the result should be very good... That's also very worrying...
The problem is that it will give ideas to unscrupulous guys who will resell them for authentics to guys who do not know...
So you do it but you do not say it... ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:36:49 pm by 4pots1969 »

Don R

• View Profile
 I got this honesty thing all wrong I guess.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nothing wrong with work-a-rounds such as this Don. It is a solution to a problem, which can easily be "upgraded" with an original cover should one turn up at a price which you are comfortable with. Certainly better than it wearing a 10 hole cover (or no cover at all!).

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Don. I posted a comment yesterday (my time) that has disappeared nevertheless I will state again
Don't sell yourself short. You did a good job and for a first effort it's super.
As for Gérard's comments, I don't like reproduction parts either but there are many parts that just are unobtainable so one must adapt. Seats, good airboxes, early petcock and of course 9 hole covers are just not available so you have to do what you have to do. Exhausts are a better example of the reproducer's art.
My biggest annoyance is the making of reproduction parts that are 1: available, albeit not easily available and 2: reproduction parts that are just plain bad. The Yamiya wrinkle fuel tank is a good example of a part that is readily available and not well copied from original.
Keep us posted on you continued attempts.
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
my 2 cents worth, to my thinking, every point written thus far should be well taken.

the one thing i have worked hard over the years, when one participates on this forum, is to leave our egos at the door.   having a fellowship of camaraderie is necessary in order to best help each other.  egos driven by smart-assed arrogance DO NOT WORK FOR ME.  i have seen forums where people are stripped to the bone and then roasted on the fire by know-it-all "experts" who like feeding their ballooned ego, it's hurtful and no one deserves such treatment.  WE DON'T HAVE THAT HERE.

i am really proud of and thankful for every member who participates on this forum.  EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATES ON THIS FORUM AND IN PARTICULAR HELPS ANOTHER MEMBER IS A VALUABLE ASSET TO OUR FELLOWSHIP.

that being said, i KNOW i have written things that have been misinterpreted and it is very easy to be misunderstood when writing our thoughts, especially considering we all do not speak the same language and some have to use translators to participate on OUR forum.

so that being said, your "10 to 9" hole cover is going to get your bike running, which in my humble opinion is totally understandable and commendable for your ingenuity.  for certain, i can say without reservation, if i did not have a part and knew i could modify a part to get my bike on the road, i would do it in a heartbeat.  9 hole covers don't grow on trees.  from the outside, only the keenest of eyes might spot the modification.  i don't know if a 10 hole converted to 9 looks the same on the inside as an authentic 9 hole, but if it does not, then a purist who bought the bike and discovered the conversion could be unhappy.  when i sell a bike, speaking for myself, i feel bound to disclose the parts that are not correct or original for any motorcycle i were to sell.  not everyone feels that way, each to their own.  in the end, how an individual represents their bike is left as their conscience dictates.  i'll leave any further comments on ethics unsaid for the sake of my time and energy.

i will tell you, restoring this 90 year old 1927 Harley Davidson has been the biggest project i have ever taken on.  i literally started with a frame, an engine, a transmission and a rear wheel hub.  there comes a point where the chances for finding some parts for any motorcycle are likely to never be found.  Compromise and common sense HAVE to take precedent to a hard core, line drawn in the sand purist mentality.  my 27 would not be where it is at without the reproduction parts i have on it made by devoted and passionate artisans who commit their entire being to manufacturing parts.  as it is, i have three and one half years and over 500 hours in my Harley and would NEVER be in the final restoration stage without using reproduction parts.  in fact, i'd be long dead and gone, before every original part was ever found to make this 90 year old motorcycle 100% original. and i am quite proud of the fact i built my old Harley starting with so few parts and damaged at that; i used as many original parts as i could find.  

i will never smack on any any vendor for their efforts, but i will report my findings to the vendor and on a forum when a part is different from original and in particular when a part is simply flat out lousy quality.  a vendor owes it to be told the parts they are making are incorrect so they can correct the problem.  i do find it dismaying, considering the effort that goes in to reproducing a part, that certain manufacturers spend their time producing unacceptable parts.  i would suspect many sandcast 750's have at least 1 non-oem (reproduction) part on them.

Good job, Don.  9 hole covers are out there; i hope you can find one someday for your bike.  imho, every sandcast deserves a genuine 9 hole cover if they are available for a price the owner can afford.  

on the other hand, not having a 9 hole cover should not hold anyone back when a 10 hole can be modified in order to get your bike on the road.

Don R

• View Profile
 In the interest of full disclosure, I'll stamp repro on the cover in a discrete location. The second one (lower in the picture) didn't turn out so it's in the junk.
 My 5511 has a Yamiya red seat foam, exhaust, mirrors  and the original rocker cover and 9 hole clutch cover are still chromed as done by the first owners son. The chain is new as are the tires, fork seals and agm battery. I also bought the PO's stripped down K2 drag bike for $2800 just to get the rolled rim and 2 hole hub back. The day I sell it, I'll proudly list those items.

This cover is for an engine only project. I'd love to see it in a frame again but not the K5 I removed it from. I drove from near the Mississippi river to the middle of West Virginia and another trip to New Jersey (hi Tim!) before that to obtain a proper cylinder and head for it and a 70 case for my 70  diecast. So I don't take this lightly.

Thanks for your comments.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Nice job.

I´d say most of the restored sandcast have more or less repro parts.

And if you cant find them, make your own. E.g. 14" oil case bolts are drilled down from 17" bolts

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html

and I bet most of round oil filter cases you find are "Made in Germany"

looks like a "who-is-Who" list

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,921.0.html

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:53:06 am by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
well, to make a restoration truly correct, we need to make sure the tires have genuine Japanese air in them.  a simple test to verify genuine 1969 air wold be to see whether or not the the tires glow in the dark or not.

Don, i wouldn't stamp "repro" on the outside of 10 to 9 cover.

markb

• View Profile
If you don't try to sell me that part as a genuine, original, correct part then you haven't done anything wrong. If I didn't have and couldn't get a 9-holer for #97 would I run a modified 10-holer? Damn right I would. Especially if you did it. Nice work Don.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:59:31 pm by markb »
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)