Honda CB750 Sandcast

Steering damper

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Which steering damper was fixed in 1969 if you ordered it for your CB750 at the HONDA dealer?
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It wasn't a factory option 👉Maybe dealers fitted them. Early bikes did have what is believed to be a damper gusset, but never used for that and was deleted after the first 1000 or so frames
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
It wasn't a factory option 👉Maybe dealers fitted them. Early bikes did have what is believed to be a damper gusset, but never used for that and was deleted after the first 1000 or so frames

frame 1865 had the gusseting for what we suppose was to accommodate a steering damper.  i think there is probably quite a gap between F1865 and the next frame vin lower than 1865 where the gusseting would be seen.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Indeed Mr Swan, you are correct but I doubt there are many after say 1000 if 1000 is a reasonable point. As we say here in Oz, a smidgen frames have gussetting after say 1000 which means few  ;D I have no ideas as to why there are gussetted frames after say 1000, my only thought would be random selection prior to stamping, early frames being rejected for some flaw such as welding or alignment could be a possibility. I doubt we'll ever know. One of those mysteries I spose
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Is that a special gusset? Maybe someone a pic?

All of my K0 had a steering damper and a gusset on the lower fornk bridge for that.

Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,196.0.html

The above link is the gusset being talked about. Those 2 photos show dampers connected to the bottom/lower steering clamp and to a point attached to the frame. Both those dampers are different and look to be aftermarket.

I'm starting to think that maybe, and that's a maybe, the bracket we refer to as a steering damper bracket is not a steering damper bracket at all. Thoughts
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,196.0.html

The above link is the gusset being talked about. Those 2 photos show dampers connected to the bottom/lower steering clamp and to a point attached to the frame. Both those dampers are different and look to be aftermarket.

I'm starting to think that maybe, and that's a maybe, the bracket we refer to as a steering damper bracket is not a steering damper bracket at all. Thoughts

You may be on to something.  We've ass-u-me'd all along it was.....   Wonder what the Japanese think it is.