Honda CB750 Sandcast

1969 Complete Tool Kit

Joe K · 45 · 8002

DW69K0

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

Attached is a photo of my "sort of complete" sandcast tool kit.  I can make it 100% complete but then I would need to spend about $300 to $400 purchasing a few tool kits to get the original tools I need. 

The tools that are not original or correct using numbers from the Parts Book and shown by photos provided by DW69K0 in the thread above:

15. Thickness gauges.  But I do have aftermarket .05mm & .08mm.

14. File.  Aftermarket.

6. Spark plug wrench.  Mine doesn't have the "checkering" grip at the end.

4. 8mm x 12mm open wrench.  This is the new version without the Honda logo.

16. Tool bag.  It looks like the photo on the parts list is a flat plastic bag.  Mine is the padded version.  I like my version but it very possibly is not correct.

Joe K.
13. Handle: for axle wrench.  Mine is the correct length, but it came with another set and is not correct bend.  I am going to use a vise to bend it more correctly and drill a hole.  This is temporary until I can get the correct one.

Joe,
The other things I noticed that you did not mention.
     - The handle for the axle wrench should be flat with a hole.
     - KP responded, the correct spark plug wrench has knurled end.
Not being critical, but pointing out correct parts for your reference.
Best,DW

Joe K

• View Profile
Hi DW,

Yes thank you for bringing that up.

Joe K.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is not a complete kit but certainly shows the correct plug spanner, extension handle complete with hole and cast shock spanner.
Pliers (not shown) come in several variations, a long set and a short set. The longer pliers are correct for the sandcast kits whilst the shorter and more common are included in kits from about 72 onwards. The correct pliers are about the same length as the wheel nut spanner extension handle.
The CBX1000 spark plug tool looks very similar in appearance to the sandcast tool but the CBX is much longer.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1969-1970-Genuine-Honda-CB-750-SandCast-OEM-Tool-Kit-Set-Wrenches-Bag-USED-750-/322552232970?hash=item4b199c7c0a:g:kZ8AAOSwi8VZPsGQ
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:59:42 am by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

Don R

• View Profile
 Good discussion. I assumed my sandcast kit was correct but to be honest I may have mixed them over the last few years. I'll recheck them and try some vinegar too.

I've had good luck on ebay searching CB Honda 750 wrench, Honda 750 tool kit, Honda tool kit, 750 tools etc. Some folks use different terms and make it hard for those not creative in the search to find the older wrenches. I got the double box end cheap that way. It was listed as 750 Honda wrench.

Don R

• View Profile
 I found an Ebay ad with 14 misc. wrenches, it included kawasaki and Yamaha wrenches and had the K0 cast shock spanner and correct three end wrenches.

I also got 3 extra 8x12mm spanners, and have many of the later tools collected in my quest for a full K0 set. One 8x12 with the big HM logo and two with the smaller HM logo. I would trade, looking for other correct tool kit parts. Tool bag, spark plug, file, red handle, extension handle with the hole etc.

The newer size wrenches have the big HM logo so is it safe to assume the smaller HM logo is older?

Any tips for cleaning/polishing without removing the finish? I'm doing a vinegar test cleaning. Scotchbrite/WD40 seems to help but sure is messy. I worry about removing the original finish, a brass scrub brush removed the crud but leaves the patina.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:21:17 pm by Don R »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zinc plating oxidises (goes dull) so we clean off the oxidise. It then oxidises again and we clean it again and the cycle repeats until no zinc plate and the raw metal begins to oxidise ie rust. The gold bright finish on zinc is a process that keeps a nice finish and slows the oxidising process. Not totally though. Olive drab (or drab olive) is a similar added process which is more common today then gold bright. I think just leaving them and storing away from the atmosphere is the best way of keeping them in nice condition. My thoughts anyway. You can always have them cadmium plated which looks like zinc but doesn't oxidise (well very slowly) not many cadmium platers around these days though.
Yabba Dabba KP

Joe K

• View Profile
It took me awhile but after several Ebay purchases of tool kits I have finally got a correct 1969 tool kit. In the posted photos I also took a photo of the back of the tools so you can see those stamped markings.  Please let me know if any of the tools don't look correct.

Joe K.

Joe K

• View Profile
One more photo...

Joe K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Joe, your tool kit looks stellar.  although i owned 4779 new back in the day, i have no clue what an original points file looks like.  Yours certainly looks like possibly the part....  However, and i don't know if it means anything, the sketch in the parts book depicts a file with a round hole in the working end of the file.  can anyone illuminate, elucidate...?

Joe K

• View Profile
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the compliment!  I can say for sure that the file point is original Honda.  I asked the same question about the hole in the top of the file in an earlier post of this thread.  In all of my looking at file points in various Honda tool kits I haven't ever seen the hole.  Only in the manual drawing.

Joe K.

Joe K

• View Profile
Does anyone have any idea why Honda made their wrenches with an 8mm/12mm and a 10mm/14mm?  My way of thinking is that they should have been an 8mm/10mm and a 12mm/14mm.  Perhaps to fit in the tool bag easier or make certain adjustments on the bike with these configurations?   ???

Joe K.

Don R

• View Profile
 I'd guess there may be an instance of an 8mm head and a 10mm nut so you may get to it with two wrenches?   Same with a 12/14. I'm not aware of any instances where that happens on our bikes. I noticed my Kawasaki has 13mm wrenches and hardware.

DW69K0

• View Profile
My best guess, I think the top triple tree would need to use both the 12mm & 14mm wrenches at the same time to adjust.
DW

DW69K0

• View Profile
Joe,
On your file question, the tool kits of that same era, from the CB450s (Black Bomber) had the same file that I have in two of my Sandcast tool kits, having a tang that is the exact same length and the file face.
The files are identical to the CB450 files and do not have a hole in the end. Both files are from very original bikes that have not had any modifications. I assume they are correct for the bike, so I hope others can weigh in with their observations.
Best,
DW

Joe K

• View Profile