Honda CB750 Sandcast

hello all! i just bought a sandcast. i want to sell it.(update - sold)

leviwommack

• View Profile
hey guys,

i believe i just found the needle in the haystack.  i was checking out an estate sale and found an early cb750 with the VIN "CB750-10052xx/CB750E-1005088".  I cant remember the last 2 digits of the frame VIN but the first part is right and ill get to pick up my bike on saturday and will know for sure.  i only have 3 photos right now till I pick up the bike but will attach those for you to check out.  I ride scooters and small cc bikes.  this 750 is too much bike and project for me.  i'm hoping to get the experts in this forum to confirm i do have a sandcast and it's condition.  I want to sell it, and would like to represent it as accurately as possible if it goes to ebay.  i also thought i'd give the members of this forum a shot at it before posting to ebay.  thanks in advance for any info you can share with me.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:21:17 pm by leviwommack »

acruz

• View Profile
Yup, it looks like you have one.  It's missing a few things just from the pictures:  the seat is from a later model as well as the airbox.  The front fender looks right.  The oil lines from the picture appear correct but it would be better to have closer pictures.  The tank should have wrinkles when you look down the tank cap.  The gauges should be black background with greenish numbers and markings.  Do you have the side covers?

Good Luck

aRnold
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:17:19 pm by acruz »

leviwommack

• View Profile
Yup, it looks like you have one.  It's missing a few things just from the pictures:  the seat is from a later model as well as the airbox.  The front fender looks right.  The oil lines from the picture appear correct but it would be better to have closer pictures.  The tank should have wrinkles when you look down the tank cap.  The gauges should be black background with greenish numbers and markings.  Do you have the side covers?

Good Luck

aRnold
thanks arnold!

i agree the seat doesnt have the duck tail i've seen on others and I didn't think it was correct.  i did not know the airbox was incorrect, thanks for the info.

it's missing the headlight, left side handlebar controls, kick start rubber, and all 4 baffles.  I will check for tank wrinkles and the gauges on saturday when i pick it up.  i will also take a lot of good pictures and upload them.

the right side cover is there but some dummy painted it black,  they also painted the headlight bucket and fork ears.  i cant remember if the left side cover was there.

acruz

• View Profile
I'm just starting to learn this bike myself.  I don't have one but I've been reading the restoration builds on this forum.  They have a wealth of knowledge.  I know you were thinking of selling but to be honest these bikes are hard to find.  I know I've been trying for several years now.  I believe the last sandcast was # 7414.  The earlier models were more valuable because they had rare parts not found on the later sandcast bikes.  Many of the fellas on here are experts on sandcasts so if you wanted to try to restore it, i'm sure that you will get a lot of useful information and guidance.  Good Luck!

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Would have been nice if you had offered that bike here in the forum.

So what are you looking for, detail info to get the best prize on ebay?

Good luck!
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

leviwommack

• View Profile
Would have been nice if you had offered that bike here in the forum.

So what are you looking for, detail info to get the best prize on ebay?

Good luck!

hey sgt!  i mentioned in my original post i am offering the bike here on the forum first.  that is still true!  i dont take possesion of the bike till saturday.  once it's in my hands i'll upload detailed pics for the members to dissect.  anyone in this great group will have a chance to inspect photos and make me an offer well before it makes it to ebay. 

my goal is to: 1)learn exactly what I have. 2)learn how much it's worth. 3)accurately represent it and sell it.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:07:19 am by leviwommack »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Congrats on finding a sandcast! Looks like you have a bike that is mostly there. As I see it:

The Good
Correct frame and engine numbers (Its a sandcast!!)
Appears to be nice paint on the tank (hopefully it is a correct wrinkle tank)
Double-cut front fender
18 inch rear rim (often changed for smaller rims). Hopefully a rolled rim.
Correct carbs (often changed for later easier-to-adjust carbs)
The front brake appears correct with the longer rib on the center of the back plate.

The Not-so-Good
K1 airbox and seat
Incorrect paint on the fork ears
Missing the left controls
Missing the side covers
Incorrect grips
Missing the foot peg rubber
Missing the passenger pegs

The Unknown
I suspect that those are HM300 exhaust pipes, but I can't be sure. They appear to be in decent shape, but no-number exhaust pipes are correct for your bike. If the exhausts have no stamped numbers on them, then they are original.
The rear fender appears correct from what I can see, but it is possible that it is a three-hole fender from a K1. Look under the rear fender to see if there are three welded nuts to hold the rear brake light or (the correct) two.
The instruments appear correct, but could also be from a K1. Check to make sure the red line is at 8.5k to be correct.
The tank should be a 17 liter wrinkle tank. Open the filler cap and you should see wrinkles in the metal.

I'm sure others will chime in. And thanks for offering it to the sandcast community first!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
hey guys,

i also thought i'd give the members of this forum a shot at it before posting to ebay.  ...

Sorry, I missed that part.

As ujeni said, and pics from the left side will tell more.
The old K0 mirrors and lamp are missing.
Whereas she has correct K0 fork legs

Maybe you find some missing parts in that place. What is an "estade sale"?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:42:10 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

leviwommack

• View Profile

Maybe you find some missing parts in that place. What is an "estade sale"?

i didnt find any other parts but i did also buy a complete 72 CB750 (picture attached).

An Estate Sale, also called a Tag Sale in some parts of the country, is a way of liquidating the belongings of a family or estate. These are usually much more than garage or yard sales. They are used when someone is in need of a way to sell items due to downsizing, moving, divorce, bankruptcy, or death.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Re- Sell that K2 and keep the sandcast.

Restore it with our help, lots of fun, sometimes frustrating but in the end (hopefully, I am not there yet) satisfying.

Beware the front fender and the pipes when you take her out for transport.

acruz

• View Profile
I would have to agree.  These Sandcast bikes come up very infrequently and to have an almost complete Sandcast is a great find.  I second that on selling the K2 and keeping the Sandcast.  What's the worse that can happen.  It appreciates in value and you can sell it for more.  You don't necessarily have to ride it. 

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed. Sell the K2 and keep the bike that collectors want.

Even better, restore it and put it in your office like I did:

Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

leviwommack

• View Profile
i know you guys are going to think i'm crazy but they are both going to be sold.  i do realize i'll probably never come across another find like this in my life and im only 36.  i just dont have the garage, tools, experience or money to undertake a project like this.  i hope it doesn't piss anyone off to hear this but if i do well enough on these bikes i'm buying myself a grom!!  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:08:00 pm by leviwommack »