Honda CB750 Sandcast

Gauge repair tutorial?

Don R · 5 · 3983

Don R

• View Profile
 I recently bought a sweet speedo here and found a nice tach on sohc4.net. The tach has a great case but a lousy lens. I've collected a few parts from our friendly gauge guy, facebook and Ebay. I have 2 cases, lenses and K0 faceplates. I originally planned to redo a couple K1 gauges to appear K0 but that's not needed now.

Anyway my question is, aside from a few tips here and there is there a tutorial anywhere on taking the plastic body gauges apart and putting them back together? If not maybe I'll sharpen my posting skills and give it a try.

Don R

• View Profile
I found a couple threads on sohc4 in proven tips and tricks but the pics are gone.  Apparently there's no magic bullet for disassembly. Heat and force seem to be the big two. Grinding the lens out of the black housing or heat, razor knife and prying to remove the entire plastic cover.
 I'll check the faceplate for fit through the lens opening.

Don R

• View Profile
 I ruined the case trying to use heat on the lens, it stretched before releasing the broken lens. That left me using the new plastic case and lens. The plastic releases from the bottom, somehow I believed something came apart at the head weld looking seam. I cut the old housing off.

I realized the two sets of faces I bought from cb750 faces are k1 (what I ordered) and saw a set of K0 on ebay from the pacific northwest. Assuming they were yamiya I bought them hoping for quicker delivery. They came today, they look more green and the numbers are slightly smaller. Used as a set it most likely wouldn't be noticed but I was going to use the nos speedo and re-build the tach.  hmmmm,
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:27:37 pm by Don R »

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
Hi Don,

It is very hard to get the plastic lenses removed from the black covers. However, I found a way to do it in a very decent way. That took a while to find out how to, but I succeeded. I use a CNC milling machine, that can mill the plastic lens with a high precision from the black cover.
this is the result:

Don R

• View Profile
 Cool, thanks. A guy on sohc4 said he did one in a drill press. I'd assume with a mill tool.