Honda CB750 Sandcast

Is this an authentic wrinkle tank?

42barab · 10 · 2418

42barab

• View Profile
There's an eBay listing for a wrinkle tank, and they're asking $3800.  It's was used, some rust inside, and supposedly it has been sitting unused in someone's collection for many years.  I'd like opinions on its authenticity and value.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB750-Sandcast-Wrinkle-gas-Tank-OEM-1969-fuel-tank-Candy-blue-green/173381446134?var=null

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's a (3 series) 17litre wrinkle tank which has obviously been repainted. There are 2 bads.
Bad 1 is the stripes are incorrect, incorrect, incorrect
Bad 2 is it it overpriced by about $2500 to $2800
The fact that the stripes are wrong will mean a strip of the stripes at least and then a full repaint if the stripes can't be removed easily
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
for what the tank is described to allegedly be, it appears highly unlikely it is not.  

The pin holding the latch is not in all the way and it is installed from the LH side.  the pins were installed from the factory through the RH side and were peened so they could not work loose.  

i agree with Mr. McGovern's observations on the stripes.

i suggest the bag is a ruse covering a tank that is a sham.

except for the bag, my favorite part about this tank is "has been handled with gloves on only."

i can't remember tank date coding.....  what is "4 10" ?  can't be April 10 for this last type 17 wrinkle tank.  4 10 is more like October 4...?

42barab

• View Profile
Thanks for the guidance.  The bag and the gloves did seem a bit much.  But I had no idea there were so many nuances about the Sandcasts.  I don't dispute your critiques, but I'd like to understand more.  What tells you it's a series 3?  Datewise, is the tank's being a series 3 the same as a tach drive's being a series 3?  I think I read that Honda didn't paint the petcock mounting surface - is that an indicator?  Is the repaint color correct or is that also a red flag?  The stripes look correct to me - what am I not seeing?  I looked at the NOS tank on Yamiya's website for comparison, but the two look the same.  I feel like a blind man amongst the sighted.

BTW, Besides being pricey, what's your opinion of Yamiya's repainted tank?  Thanks

John

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Tank is worth 500.
That plastic bag 3.000.

Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
John, Find some tanks with the stripes clearly visible and compare them to the tank for sale on eBay. Those stripes are terrible The width of the smaller stripe is not of a consistent width, the location of the black highlight stripes are not correctly located.
The differences between tanks is seen beneath the tank
Tank 1 is a 19 litre without depressions for the carb cable where it exits the carbs
Tank 2/3 is that the wrinkles on the early 17 litre is seen in the tunnel area and to each side of the tunnel area The photo clearly shows the differences
Tank 2 (red) clearly showing wrinkles in the tunnel and on the sides of the tunnel
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
John
Please study these photos Compare the tank on eBay and I think it will become clear
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile
Kerry, The photos and your help is appreciated.  I'm sure I'll get it eventually.  Thanks

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Thanks for the guidance.  The bag and the gloves did seem a bit much.  But I had no idea there were so many nuances about the Sandcasts.  I don't dispute your critiques, but I'd like to understand more.  What tells you it's a series 3?  Datewise, is the tank's being a series 3 the same as a tach drive's being a series 3?  I think I read that Honda didn't paint the petcock mounting surface - is that an indicator?  Is the repaint color correct or is that also a red flag?  The stripes look correct to me - what am I not seeing?  I looked at the NOS tank on Yamiya's website for comparison, but the two look the same.  I feel like a blind man amongst the sighted.

BTW, Besides being pricey, what's your opinion of Yamiya's repainted tank?  Thanks

John

John, i well know the feeling of the blind man amongst the sighted.  Don't be shy asking questions and perusing the website, there is a ton of information we have uploaded into the website since 2004.  "Production Models" is particularly revealing.  Also, "88 Distinctions" in the forum is another good area to research; both of these areas will answer many of your questions.