Honda CB750 Sandcast

The known history of frame #366

ken736cc

• View Profile
I originally wrote this in May 2012. I am posting today. I will explain at the end.

When I was first employed in the motorcycle industry, I was shown the ways of the Honda 750 by the older fellows that I worked with.  This was 1973 and the dealership was Honda of Mineola.  Even then they spoke of the “K0” with great respect.  The new models were already being detuned.
Flash forward to 1980.  My grandfather brings 2 motorcycles that he bought at a police auction.  One is a KZ400. I recognize the other as a K0.  This is exciting.   It is cosmetically rough, and the engine is locked.  I realize that this is really special when I see the frame number.  It is number 366. It still has a no fin oil filter housing, stock pipes (dented, no baffles) and a double cut fender.  It was originally sold by a Honda dealer in Brooklyn and was registered as a 1970 model.  It has 23,000 miles on it.  I fix it on the cheap (new cam towers and cam) and I use it to commute to work.  I begin to research the early model CB 750.

In 1983 I purchase my own Honda dealership, K & R Cycles, in Bellerose, N.Y.

In 1984 the 750 throws a chain. Well, now is the time for a restoration. I have access to everything I need !  The engine gets disassembled and freshened up. I cut the pieces that I need to repair the chain damage from an old diecast crankcase and have a professional patch welded in. I polish all the aluminum myself and paint the frame. I order new  #300 exhaust, new tank, new side panels, new airbox and anything else that needs to be replaced. The bike turns out so nice that I decide to show it and not ride it.
In 1987 it is stolen from the storage shed on my property.  I expect that I will never see it again.  It was taken by a local criminal who thought he could sell it for parts.  A few days after the theft, he beats up his girlfriend.  She gets even by turning him in to the police.   The bike is in his backyard, only 1 block from my house.  I am there when police pick him up and retrieve the bike for evidence. There is no damage except for the ignition lock.  3 month later I pick the bike up from evidence impound. The tank is now dented and all the exhaust pipes are dented and scratched.  It seems that they do not use kickstands at vehicle impound. They just lean the bikes against each other like dominoes.  I get a check from Suffolk County to repair the damage. I fix it and decide it is time to ride.
I use this bike and some others  to commute 70 miles each day until 2001.  The bike is a little tired now. It has 90,000 miles on it.
During this time my knowledge of sandcasts had increased dramatically.  I have been hording parts with 300 middle number and paying attention to rare or hard to get parts.  Now is the time for a real restoration. My goal is as correct as possible, museum quality restoration, perhaps slightly over restored.
It is taking quite a long time. As of today the frame is powder coated, The wheels have been rebuilt with the correct rims (rechromed), stainless spokes and yellow zinc plated nipples. The engine has been disassembled, bead blasted, properly re assembled with the usual new parts (cam chain, primary chains, bearings etc.). I have sourced all the proper #8 hardware and I have a set of Lotus root pipes. I can begin to work on this when I finish the bikes that I am working on for other people.

It is now May 2018.  I get a visit from an old friend. He works with the Ward Melville Educational and Cultural center in Stony Brook, N.Y.   They are having a motorcycle exhibit and he mentioned that he may be able to get a sandcast for display.  I have not worked on the bike in over a year, but he wants to know if I can get it ready for display at the museum in 2 weeks!. The show is July 7 2018 to September 3. I spent the last 2 weeks out in the garage every night.  The bike will be picked up tomorrow.  It is not perfect but it is a very good representation of a sandcast. I have all the hard to find parts in place.

If you are out to the east end of Long Ialand and would like to see some interesting bikes, please visit the museum.  Here is the web address      http://www.stonybrookvillage.com/what-to-do-events/

I've seen the future, I can't afford it.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great story; really is. Thanks for sharing.
Yabba Dabba KP

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A sandcast is good.
A low-number sandcast is great.
A low-number sandcast with a story is the best.

We need pics!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

4pots1969

• View Profile
I like the beautiful Sandcast stories like this one...

ken736cc

• View Profile
Here are a few pictures.
I've seen the future, I can't afford it.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A beautiful machine. Well done. That's a keeper!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608