Honda CB750 Sandcast

FRAME 31

kp · 34 · 4842

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
On eBay. Bulla the shite description. Other than being a very desirable bike it certainly is not "unrestored" and missing so much. The seller needs to supply more photographs and expand the description. Need to know the engine number
Yabba Dabba KP

Kevin M

• View Profile
Do you have a link?  I can't seem to find it on eBay.
2293/E2456
2565/E2734

Kevin M

• View Profile
Okay - I found the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Honda-CB/222793535549?hash=item33df87903d:g:PvkAAOSwuShaWP9D&vxp=mtr

Photo of the frame number sure would be nice.  A close look at the engine number looks like 7xxx something. 

Can't believe the bid is up to $36K without photos of the frame and engine numbers.
2293/E2456
2565/E2734

4pots1969

• View Profile
It was enough to just ask... KP ;D :D ;) Engine number E-1000066
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:38:44 pm by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Success Give that man a cigar
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
Except for the exhausts, the "28" tops, the airbox and the side emblems, it seems to me complete...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:08:08 pm by 4pots1969 »

DW69K0

• View Profile
Hard to tell if it has a 19 liter tank, unless we see the bottom side. I would also love to see the right hand controls to see the pointerless kill switch. Lots of parts not correct for an "unrestored" bike. Great to see the engine Vin.
DW

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
the tach drive box is diecast.  the #1 exhaust is stamped HM300, has rot on the end, the #4 exhaust has relief for the brake pedal.  chain guard is long.  the exhaust clamps are not the early "fat" type. the master cylinder cap is not machined, much less the correct cast type.  both instrument cables are the early short nut type.  i am going with the tank being a 19 liter because of the narrow distance between the fuel tap lever and bottom edge of tank, appears same distance as my 232.  judging by the damaged LH headlight ear, cracked headlight bucket, and other replaced incorrect partst, i would suggest the bike's been damaged, probably in some sort of accident or something fell on it.  none the less, a lovely appropriately matching low 2 digit vin.  gotta love that grey body horn.  i quit bidding at $36.2K....... :o  i would be surprised if it sells for less than $45k, probably $50k+  vins like 31/E66 do not grow on trees and there certainly are discriminating wealthy collectors patiently waiting in the background for a vin like this one.  it seems the lowest vin i have ever seen for sale on ebay about 10 years ago was something like vin 122.....?  KP, do you remember that auction?  Gerard, i asked the seller for the Evin and any other pics, nary a word and now my feelings are hurt.  :'(

4pots1969

• View Profile
I also think that the tank is a 19 liters ...
Steve, I did not ask the seller Ebay because I already had these pictures for about 3 years in my computer ... They had been posted here ...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:32:49 am by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
auction ended.  we'll see if it reappears, doubtful.  i am guessing seller was made an offer he could not refuse, as well as avoid paying ebay fees.

4pots1969

• View Profile
EDIT: In response to inquiries and new information not preciously known to me. I have answered all as completely as I could. This is my first time selling a motorcycle of this age and vintage and I have a lot to learn. I appreciate the kind encouragement and guidance from the sellers and bidders who have been so interested to learn more about this bike. PLEASE READ BEFORE BIDDING THESE EDITS ARE CORRECTIONS OR ADDITIONS TO THE ORIGINAL INFORMATION.

*Re: More Photos or better Quality - As per request I have added 12  new photos showing the condition of the pipes, areas of paint damage, Engine stamp, VIN Stamp, Fuel Tank, Front Sprocket (counter-shaft) and chain where it enters the engine. They show all her blemishes, including ones I previously was not aware of.

*Re: History and Condition - The VIN Number is CB7501000031- it is stamped into the frame. The Engine Number is 66, Frame number is 31. Based on research from Sandcastonlydotcom I speculate that the bike was built before  7/22/1969 (E71) and assembled and shipped to the USA for sale by November of 1969. No documents of the original sale exist. The bike was acquired in 1973 by the dealership after the owner brought it in for repairs. The owner of the bike chose to trade it in instead of having it repaired. It spent from the summer 1973 to the spring of 1997 in our dealership warehouse when it was moved to the show room floor. It has been there ever since. The bike has 4271 original miles on it.

The bike has had some repairs done to it - the Front fender was replaced and also the airbox cover with 1969/1970 CB750f Parts. At some point the alternator cover began leaking oil and JB weld was used to seal the leak. There are numerous scratches and the paint has suffered fading and chipping, especially in areas near joints such as the threads and welds where the mirrors and signal lights attach. The glass of both gauges have cracks. The fuel tank was stored empty but some rust has accumulated but the integrity of the tank is good.

*Re: Fuel Tank - Could not determine true volume but presumably 19L or 5.0 US Gallons as specified by online sources. The Tank lacks the throttle cable impressions that were added in later CB750 models.

As before the winner of the auction is responsible for transport and delivery, It is not possible for us to ship this bike.

Thank you for all your paitence and interest.

4pots1969

• View Profile
The sale of 31 does not appear in the list of successful sales from the seller so I think no ... at least officially.
Maybe the sale is made outside of Ebay ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:44:47 pm by 4pots1969 »

Gregg

• View Profile
It would be very interesting to hear how much frame 31 sold for. The last time I saw it listed on eBay it was a little over 36,000, climbing fast and it had plenty of time remaining. If the bidding continued, you can only guess what it would have sold for, certainly way over $40,000.
It’s hard to believe that this bike had been displayed publicly for so long on a showroom floor, since 1997, over 20 years, and nobody educated the buyer a little bit about what his “orange” bike really was, especially since it appears he was in the motorcycle accessories business.
If in fact it didn’t sell, the only explanation that I can come up with is that there was a dispute over the true ownership of the bike. Why else would he shut the auction down without a sale with those bids in place?
I made a couple of inquiries to the seller about the bike, but like Steve’s experience, nary a word. How could the guy take an offer without first responding to all interested parties? Stranger things have happened I guess.
It would be nice to know what it did sell for if it did. We know there is a huge sliding scale of value for sandcast bikes but it would help everyone guess at a value for their own bike for curiosity sake, insurance valuation, establishing a number to sell their own bike if they ever cared to, or establishing a number to purchase one if another one like it ever came on the market. I can understand the new owner, if there is one, keeping the purchase price to themself, but if you know it sold and know what it sold for, let us know.

DW69K0

• View Profile
I also sent the seller a couple of questions, and he responded three days later, in fact he did respond that he updated the photos and added 12 new photos. Also stated that he appreciated all feedback since he was inexperienced and this was his first time selling a vintage bike. The bike disappeared from eBay before I could view the new photos or bid.
Best,
Duane