Honda CB750 Sandcast

K0 #31 Ebay Ad

CB75014

• View Profile
Hi,

As you can see on the ad (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Honda-CB/222793535549?hash=item33df87903d:g:PvkAAOSwuShaWP9D&vxp=mtr)
the #31 is for sale and I asked for the engine number.

Does the VIN plate on the early sandcast indicates the building date ? In this case September of 1968.

Furthermore i can see some details on the pictures :

- the emblem on the left side-cover is not the good one, it's a right one.
- the air box comes from a K1 or a K2, the original models were smooth and available in color to match side covers.
- referring to the fender, earliest models must have at least one sharp non-rolled edge,
- mirrors should have chrome acorn capnuts at top of stem,
- the lower right exhaust muffler is not a HM300 model.

22 000 $ seems to me over priced.

Thks

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
in addition to the obvious previously mentioned items, the diecast tach drive is wrong, non-Honda bolts for airbox mounting brackets, wrong chain guard, missing machined master cylinder reservoir cap, the #1 exhaust stamped HM300, the #4 exhaust likely HM300 because pipe has relief for brake pedal, the rear rim appears possibly not round bead, rear tire not original type, a significant oil leak at cyl/head joint suggests mileage well in excess of 4,271 miles.  seller states "Based on the VIN it was built in Japan in late September 1968 before being exported to the US."  we know this is not true because Bob Jameson was at the factory in during February to April 1969, and was present while vin #1 was finished being assembled by hand on March 15, 1969.  from the seller's claims of "regular maintenance has been done" and "all parts on the bike are original," it's clearly evident the bike is not accurately represented.  the bike has been robbed of parts it came with from the factory because of a combination of aging, excessive mileage, neglect and/or accident.  the wrong parts on the bike, the poor quality pictures and the inadequate description of the bike create more questions than answers.  given the yellowed with age plastic speedo cable loop, the bike has had hands all over it in the past; a lot can happen to a so called 3 owner motorcycle in 49 years.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Also looks to me to have a later tacho with die cast drive unit, and longer chainguard. That said the front tyre appears to be original fitment type.
What a shame such an early VIN appears to be missing so many of its original parts. Hope the engine is the correct one......

Chris R.

Chris R.
302/338

CB75014

• View Profile
Hi,

No answer from the owner at the moment referring to the engine number and my commentaries sent.

The last bid reaches 35 000 $ !!

CB75014

• View Profile
Hi,

I rewrote to the owner : "Hi, I am interested in the story of the CB 750. You wrote in your ad :"Based on the VIN it was built in Japan in late September 1968 before being exported to the US."
But referring to : https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/blogs/making-honda-cb750-king-motorcycles#page-4

"Two american Honda employees Bob Young and Bob Jameson spent more than a month in Japan in 1969, assisting with final development of the CB750 Four." So I don't think Honda started a mass production of the CB 750 in 1968 but perhaps do you have pieces of information about that.

Otherwise could you please precise the engine number."

Does someone know this museum where this CB is parked in Maryland ?

Thks