Honda CB750 Sandcast

The evolution of round foundry brands....

4pots1969

• View Profile
On this Japanese site they talk about the evolution of round foundry brands.
I used the Google translator but the Japanese language became Chinese language... lol
If anyone can faithfully translate Japanese...

http://restorer-katagiri.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2016/08/cb750four-0e80.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:56:55 pm by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Gerard and KP, these are really great articles on distinctions we've seen throughout the different vin ranges.  Thank you for researching this information.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gerard and KP, these are really great articles on distinctions we've seen throughout the different vin ranges.  Thank you for researching this information.
Gerard is the man. I only flagged the use of our website pictures We actually do have a following on the sandcast website for the things we find
Dementors
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
When I saw the pictures I had a big doubt that they had to come from this shop... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:08:38 pm by 4pots1969 »

DW69K0

• View Profile
"On this Japanese site they talk about the evolution of round foundry brands. "

I was curious ever since I viewed this photos that Gerard posted. Got to the shop yesterday, interesting find.

The engines with small Vin pads (early below < 1,100) have the smooth cases with no rod marks, and my engines with wide Vin pad have the distinct round rod marks from the mold. I don't think it is because more time was spent finishing the cases, but due to different mold venting (or flow) with the Sandcast process, maybe as an improvement to reduce defects? Definitely a casting difference.

Is this another distinction? Do other members find the same characteristics lower and higher number Vins?

Curious,
DW