Honda CB750 Sandcast

13xx for sale cheap

Joe K

• View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to the asking price.  Nice unrestored low vin.

Joe K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
the bike does appear authentic and unmolested.  suspiciously and extraordinarily good condition for a nearly 52,000 mile, 49 year old motorcycle, but then the bike may have had an owner(s) who cared for the bike exceptionally well.  looking at the rust and other patina all over the bike, it must have been kept in a poorly ventilated environment, as Missouri is humid.  the one thing i am a bit puzzled by is how faded out the handlebar switches and tach red zone are, in contrast to the nearly pristine appearing blue-green body paint which does look original.  interesting to see a grey horn on a 13xx vin, but shouldn't be surprised.  seller's knowledge of the xx74/xxE75 vin pairing is interesting.  listened to the his youtube sales pitch; he learned alot from the sooc site.  going by his $56k buy it now price, he must also know Vic World sold the 441 mile 6xxx vin for $48k almost 10 years ago now.  my, how time does fly.

DW69K0

• View Profile
Looking at this Sandcast, it looks very correct for the Vin range. The only thing that seems particularly too good to me is the condition of the seat. I own two unmolested bikes with both having less than 17k miles and the seats are collapsing in the driver area from wear as the red foam just didn't hold up well. The seat conditions on my bikes show a depressed area, and with 52k on this one, I would expect more deformation. Not to say the riders of this Sandcast might have been light weight individuals or maybe the seat had the foam replaced at some point in time, don't know, just my input.
Curious, the owner states in the video that to the best of his knowledge, this is the only other sequential frame engine combination know, but Vin 928/E929 is listed in our directory.
Our directory also has 1356/E1374 paired together, and this auction is showing 1375/E1374 paired. Maybe the directory is wrong, don't know.
My thoughts,
DW

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The master cylinder is not original. I also had a thought on that seat. It's certainly a beauty.
More
The Tach is a die cast and cable is not early. Speedo is a die cast and cable is not early. Seat mount bolts are #8 These I believe should be plain heads. Chain guard is broke. Not sure about the brake pedal. Makes that horn a question mark.
To be fair the bike is 49 years old so stuff would have been replaced. Is it worth the asking price.  ??? The bike Vic sold was worth the money IMHO
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:04:16 am by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The offers are rolling in.....
[size=

guitarkev66

• View Profile
Thats why you let people bid and not try to sell "buy it now".  In my experience when two or more people get into a bidding war is when you get the most money...."buy it now" imho deters bidders unless your buy it now price is low then you'll sell quickly.   How do you even make a guy an offer on a $30,000 bike when he's asking $56,000???? ???

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How do you even make a guy an offer on a $30,000 bike when he's asking $56,000???? ???
This bike is a real dilemma. It is obvious the instruments are not original nor is the front master cylinder. As Mr Swan pointed out the switchgear is also not in keeping with the rest of the bike given their very very faded condition. Duane has flagged the condition of the seat being an oddity. All interesting observations. Nevertheless the bike is in what can only be described as; being in relatively superb (maybe original) condition for age, excluding what is attached to the triple clamp and handlebars. It is also missing one mirror. My thoughts are that this bike has no where near the 52000 miles as shown on the speedo. One thought is that the bike has had a smack and the instruments, switchgear etc have been replaced or, poorly stored and instruments weathered so bad they needed to be replaced although I don't think this latter suggestion is the case. Whatever the reason, it does give us something to ponder and indeed gives us a topic for discussion if anything.  ;)
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Whats wrong with the brake master cylinder?
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

4pots1969

• View Profile
Uli, The mounting position of the mirror rod is too high and certainly with the hole of the thread not open... On the first master cylinder, this place is much shorter with the hole of the thread which is open... The fixing flange with the two pins is not correct...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:19:08 pm by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Wow, thanks Gerard.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I still find it curious that this engine was already in our directory mated as 1356/E1374. The seller contacted me stating; “The existence of a conflicting engine number in the registry could impact the value of my bike.
I hope you will consider removing or editing the conflicting record until it can be properly vetted”. I Wonder who has 1356? I’m curious as to what engine is in it...or was it smashed? ;) I always get a bit curious when someone uses our site as a reference for financial gain only. Remember the James Dean bike? ;)
[size=

markb

• View Profile
I agree, it is curious. Looking at the stamping on the engine it looks pretty legitimate to me. Anyone disagree? One theory could be that the E1374 in the directory is a typo.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I’m no expert on VIN’s Mark but I do think the engine numbers are authentic. What I’m hinting at is; given the other observations, could it be the engine is a transplant as well? Yes, the numbers currently in the directory could be in error. My gut has me wondering on this one.
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I agree, it is curious. Looking at the stamping on the engine it looks pretty legitimate to me. Anyone disagree? One theory could be that the E1374 in the directory is a typo.

agreed, Mark.  likely the info in vinD is incorrect, i know when i started the vinD, the vins i received were reported by various contributors, either i made a typo or was reported incorrectly.  up to Wayne if he wants to delete the E1374 in vinD.  KP and i have been tossing email back and forth.  the baffles in muffs look new.  also 'appears' no rusting in frame vin stamping or around stamping, as much rust as there is on various fasteners, one could expect to see rust in stampings, also appears some scrubbing of paint in frame vin area, but who knows from pics, not many are the best.  KP did note long neck fuel tap and has diecast gauge drives, long ferrule gauge cables, so 50k+ mileage is probably suspect as KP said.  as KP or someone noted, seems reasonable to suspect the bike has had some parts replaced on it.  and exhaust looks very nice, not what one might expect on a 49 year old bike.  also, KP noted no swing arm sticker, the oil sticker on RH side cover looks original.   as Wayne noted, the fellow has clearly benefited from our website, nor does he know the importance of strapping his helmet to his head.  if i were a prospective buyer, while the bike does present reasonably well, before i paid the kind of money the seller wants, i think i would have to see the bike in person to make sure i was getting my money's worth.  while the underside of the seat pan has patina one would expect, enlarging the picture, the foam looks new and not the typical blocks one wold expect to see, and what are your thoughts on the silver "HONDA" logo on seat?  doesn't it look awfully fresh and not quite the color of factory logo ?