Honda CB750 Sandcast

Registration and Title Paperwork

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Just curious, since 2157 had no title and came from a state which WAS a no title state, how many machines out there are now are missing a title or how many of you guys live in a state where if the machine was too old to require a title you don't have a title for it........ ?

More simply put, do you guys own bikes that have no title and what do you if you need a title to put the bike on the road ?

Over the years, i have used International Title and recently obtained paperwork from them allowing me to title the bike in my state.

As i understand it, there is one state left in the Union which still will provide registration *and* license plates without requiring title. Once that state is gone, will be hopefully some new replacement process.

As we know, soe many of these old bikes' owners lost title long ago.....

Just curious whatyou guys owning bike with no title will do when the time comes to get title for the bike so you can register and license it.........

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve, this is my understanding of how it works in Ontario.

Take your Bill of Sale to the MTO. If they can get a hit on the numbers and the vehicle comes up clean they will give you a new title and the person who's name is on that title will have to sign it off to you. You will then have to go through what I'm doing now, appraisal etc. for tax purposes and registration. If they have no history on the bike (ie: you bought it as parts on Ebay or whetever) you will have to lobby to the Country of origin for the new title. If you can't get one you may have to restore it in this fashion:

Gather your parts and retain ALL receipts.
Take same to the MTO.
They will list all the parts you used to build the bike on an affidavit. (They will look for all major parts that make up a Motocycle)
You sign the affidavit as true and correct.
They will assign a new title to the bike. Here's the kicker. Since the bike is now considered a "cutsom" build the title will reflect the model year the bike was built and you can call it anything you like.
And yes, you may now put the odo at zero as it's a "new" motorcycle.

Like:
"2010 - Sandcast 748"

I did an old ground up custom Harley for a guy, it's registered as a:
"2009 Milwaukee Shaker" (they didn't like "vibrator"

You can't use anything that is deemed inappropriate by the MTO.

In the Harley world, a neck with a number and title is worth as much as a good frame and title. I'm sure a sandcast frame and title are desireable as well.

If any other folks from Ontario have experinced this stuff sure would like to hear your stories as I'm always dabbling in this stuff.

[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Purchasing a bike w/o title here in Colorado is a drag forthe buyer and a moneymaker for the state.

Years ago, looked into the procedure to follow Colorado's process to obttain title, what a pain in the bass. First have to send Registered Letter to p.o. and get a state form (b.o.s.) signed by him, then go forth with vin verification at the CSP. If no reply from p.o. in 6 MONTHS, then must post a non-refundable $250 bond, CSP vin verification and a bunch of other nerve racking, time consuming and pricey state fees. When i have had the CSP verify vins in past, they always have treated me (and others i know) like they are dealing with a "Top 10 Most Wanted," their power trip stuff. The non-reundable bondsman fee is the most disgusting part, who gets that money or where it goes, WHO KNOWS...... ?

So, has always been much easier to just go through International Title, but this most recent process with them is less simple than pat years, just hope will be available for a few years to come. Seems the plot is to keep these old vehicles off the road........

Broadway Title Service out of Alabama was another good one, but they are not as efficient as Int'l Title.

myhondas

• View Profile
Steve,
I went through the procedure just recently for my cub. Two previous owners bought it on a bill of sale and just used the bike off street with no plates. I used International title, but almost didn't work out. If I had not made a copy of the bill of sale prior to sending it off to IT, it would not have happened. Title bureau required it to get it done. My other option was to spend $100 on a court ordered title. Problem with that is if the judge doesn't see your way, you loose your money and still have no title.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Thanks Ray for your post.

Yes, the Highway Patrol officers act like bullies, letting one know in no uncertain terms they are the ones who have all power.

The County Clerk waitresses don't give a damn if they issue title or not. A few years back i came into the CC's office at 4:50pm (10" til close) with paperwork from Int'l Title. The gal looked at it and said, "Oh, you're a trouble maker, I don't have time to do this today, you'll have to come back another day." END OF CONVERSATION. "What a bag," thought i to myself. "My local and state taxes help pay your annual income," i thought to myself.

Joe K

• View Profile
Yes, all government officials should have an attitude of servanthood to the general public as helpers, not those that hinder.