Honda CB750 Sandcast

Questions and pics of newly arrived sandcast

42barab · 64 · 15108

42barab

• View Profile
Just took possession of fr 2659 with engine 2839.  Pics attached.  Bike and engine were fully restored with NOS parts in 2004, and the previous owner put about 750 miles on it.

One question concerns the center stand.  In the up position, the foot leverage bar just misses the end of the rubber bumper stop, hitting the lower muffler just in front of the rubber bumper, which seems loose, maybe needs replacing (see attached pic).  Exhausts seem to be properly attached at the cylinder and the mounting points, and nothing is loose on the stand.  It's as if the bumper is in the wrong position, or the stand is incorrect.  Seller claims NOS was used to replace everything that needed it, including all four exhausts with HM300 stamps.  Any feedback is welcome.

42barab

• View Profile
Update:  Upon closer inspection, with the bike on the center stand, the rear tire sits about 1/2" above the floor. (The rear tire on my 1973 sits about 2" above the floor.).  Shorter stand?  This could explain why the stand doesn't contact the rubber bumper on the exhaust pipe.  There are a couple of eBay stands that appear to be correct and only need cleaning, derusting, and painting.  They're not from a Sandcast but should fit the bike properly.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Update:  Upon closer inspection, with the bike on the center stand, the rear tire sits about 1/2" above the floor. (The rear tire on my 1973 sits about 2" above the floor.).  Shorter stand?  This could explain why the stand doesn't contact the rubber bumper on the exhaust pipe.  There are a couple of eBay stands that appear to be correct and only need cleaning, derusting, and painting.  They're not from a Sandcast but should fit the bike properly.

probably stand legs are spread.  if you remove stand should be easy to visualize or evaluate with a straight edge.  i do not know if there are differences between later 'sandcast' stands and later cb750 stands, but i would not be surprised if there are, e.g., different cuts of stand feet, cuts of gussets connecting legs, welds, etc, etc.  by "later" 'sandcast' stand i mean somewhere between vins 1100 - 1200, the strut was added.

42barab

• View Profile
Steve,

Thank you for your feedback.  Since I'm 2659, then mine is later.  I agree that early 750 stands may have had some differences.  The stand feet measure 6-1/2" between the feet; the 73 stand measures 7-3/8".  The 73 does have the extra strut welded on the outside of the left foot; the sandcast does not.  And all the "drawings" of a CB750 stand, from 69 to 76, on parts houses websites (e.g. Partzilla, CMS, Yamiya), and pictures on EBay, all depict the stand with the strut.

I agree that early 750 stands may have had some differences, but in this case the suspect stand in the attached pic shows a horizontal cross member, which looks a lot like a CB500/550 stand.  Smaller rear tire, lighter bike, narrower foot width - I think that's the issue.  I should have thought of this first.  Thank you again for your input.  I'll see how an eBay stand works out.

J

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Steve,

Thank you for your feedback.  Since I'm 2659, then mine is later.  I agree that early 750 stands may have had some differences.  The stand feet measure 6-1/2" between the feet; the 73 stand measures 7-3/8".  The 73 does have the extra strut welded on the outside of the left foot; the sandcast does not.  And all the "drawings" of a CB750 stand, from 69 to 76, on parts houses websites (e.g. Partzilla, CMS, Yamiya), and pictures on EBay, all depict the stand with the strut.

I agree that early 750 stands may have had some differences, but in this case the suspect stand in the attached pic shows a horizontal cross member, which looks a lot like a CB500/550 stand.  Smaller rear tire, lighter bike, narrower foot width - I think that's the issue.  I should have thought of this first.  Thank you again for your input.  I'll see how an eBay stand works out.

J

J, nice reply and good study of diff.stands, interesting the 73 stand is wider spread between feet than stand on your sandcast, but then you made another observation perhaps vital to what stand is on your sandcast.  If Chris R. sees your thread, he is very knowledgeable pretty much about all sohc 4's, he likely can contribute the info you seek.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A picture of the stand itself would be helpful. I am pretty sure that 500/4 and 750 F2 mainstands can be fitted to the K series 750's, but without a picture can not comment further.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
A picture of the stand itself would be helpful. I am pretty sure that 500/4 and 750 F2 mainstands can be fitted to the K series 750's, but without a picture can not comment further.

Chris R.

J!  i suggest you follow Chris's lead.

42barab

• View Profile
tried to send twice, file too big, retook, pic attached.

42barab

• View Profile
To Steve or Cris R.

Attached is a pic of a CB550 main stand from the CMS website.  Would you agree that's what I have?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
To Steve or Cris R.

Attached is a pic of a CB550 main stand from the CMS website.  Would you agree that's what I have?

i would put more stock in what Chris will say, about all i can say is it sure looks like it.

42barab

• View Profile

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It does indeed look to be a CB500 / CB550 stand. So, looks like you just need to find a good CB750 stand, and problem solved.

Cheers - Chris
Chris R.
302/338

42barab

• View Profile

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
the other thing i would add, you mention your bike has nos HM300 exhaust.  HM300's were not fitted to any sandcast from the factory.  the value of HM300's have gone through the roof.  worth as much to the right buyer as lotus roots Yamiya sells.  your vin came with lotus roots from the factory.